Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to play the accordion but it's too expensive for me but this is the first step.
I bought it today.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I've considered them. There's a website where the Yamaha melodica and a few others were reviewed - very interesting insights. I also watched some famous jazz melodica players on YouTube (I no longer have the links, sorry).

Accordions are interesting, but I can't imagine how anyone finds their way among all those little buttons.

The fact that the melodica has a limited range is appealing to me.

Nice video of yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,193 Posts
Accordions are expensive but good ones should hold their value.
There are a couple of sellers in Poland selling some cheap accordions. they have some pictures which you need to check very carefully as some have curled reed valves and other problems.

I picked up a 40 bass at a reasonable price. I had to do a few repairs but it plays OK and has enough buttons to learn on.

I've since moved to a 72 bass Hohner. These are quite light compared to other accordions. The big disadvantage of larger accordions is their weight. It plays a lot easier than the 40 bass cheapo. If you have the funds it makes sense to go for something decent like a Hohner. The bigger bellows mean you don't have to pump it as much as the smaller accordions.

I started on an 80 bass Chinese accordion. It is 10Kg which is just too much for playing standing up. The tone isn't as good as the other two German accordions. So I'd recommend avoiding Chinese instruments and keep an eye out for a good second hand instrument.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments, is a 72 bass accordion enough ?
I mean when you have to play Ab-7 Db7 GbMaj7 or some other changes.

I like accordion, I used to hate when I was younger.
In France, we used to hear musette accordion and it is not the style I like, then I discovered American styles and others and I figured out it was great.
Some accordionists recommend button accordions vs piano, it doesn't seem very comfortable to play jazz voices on the right hand.

Well, I will see if I can do something with this melodica.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,917 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
bought a Yamaha Pianica for less than $100.00 years ago.
Spent 4 hours tuning it.
I play it like a keyboard with the hose and sitting on a table.
Can be articulated and used with vibrato.
It's pretty loud if pushed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,784 Posts
Thanks for your comments, is a 72 bass accordion enough ?
I mean when you have to play Ab-7 Db7 GbMaj7 or some other changes.

I like accordion, I used to hate when I was younger.
In France, we used to hear musette accordion and it is not the style I like, then I discovered American styles and others and I figured out it was great.
Some accordionists recommend button accordions vs piano, it doesn't seem very comfortable to play jazz voices on the right hand.

Well, I will see if I can do something with this melodica.
Much depends on what you want, secondhand accordions can be bought for very little money (the only question is how is the intonation) in the NL. The demand is rather low and the offer is very high.

Only very special things ever reach high prices.

You can have them tuned too (there is a specialized shop) but that is a different matter.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm not a very good keyboard player, but I love banging out ideas and simple melodies and harmonies on my Melodica. Sounds a lot like my chromatic harmonica, but easier for me to play.

In the US, we can hear Melodica on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert every night. His band leader Jon Batiste plays it a lot.

Here's a monster Melodica solo by Jacob Colier on his Grammy winning arrangement of The Flintstones:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'm not a very good keyboard player, but I love banging out ideas and simple melodies and harmonies on my Melodica. Sounds a lot like my chromatic harmonica, but easier for me to play.

In the US, we can hear Melodica on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert every night. His band leader Jon Batiste plays it a lot.

Here's a monster Melodica solo by Jacob Colier on his Grammy winning arrangement of The Flintstones:
I wish he would get his tuned.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great playing for your first day. My daughter plays a Melodica. #7 in this video. https://melodicaworld.com/13-melodica-comparison/
Three years prior she played on the Yamaha. Best to your accordion journey.
Thanks, I know this video, I listened to it a thousand times, thank her, she plays great.
I'm not ready to buy an accordion yet. The melodica is a nice world and bigger than we imagine.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Much depends on what you want, secondhand accordions can be bought for very little money (the only question is how is the intonation) in the NL. The demand is rather low and the offer is very high.

Only very special things ever reach high prices.

You can have them tuned too (there is a specialized shop) but that is a different matter.
You're right but in France piano accordions are not so popular I think.
We've got button accordions with C system.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bought a Yamaha Pianica for less than $100.00 years ago.
Spent 4 hours tuning it.
I play it like a keyboard with the hose and sitting on a table.
Can be articulated and used with vibrato.
It's pretty loud if pushed.
Today in front of a tuner I played, mine is perfectly in tune. Its price : 24,99 €

Maybe you wanted it tuned at 442 Hz.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have one of these, but I've always kept it in mind as a good alternative to harmonica/accordion if the need ever arises. Last year I played Mary Poppins; the oboe player next to me had a few harmonica bits, he actually tried to learn the proper fingerings and positions on a chromatic harmonica, and he had tricky chromatic lines, looked like a nightmare, a melodica would have been much simpler.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,784 Posts
You're right but in France piano accordions are not so popular I think.
We've got button accordions with C system.
Then buy in the Netherlands , Germany or Italy in all those countries buttons accordeons are very much a minority of the instruments available. It is possible to buy accordeons at flea markets for very little money because.literally, nobody wants them (aside from the very expensive instruments).

I just run a search on a local site there is literlaly a bunch of those starting from €50, with €200 you can buy yourself a decent instrument.

I have a friend with a junk shop that he calls an antique shop and he has 6 or 7 accordeons ( more or less playing) which he sells mostly as “ decoration” items.

About tuning

Tuning is an issue for any instrument with a metal reed. Sooner or later reeds will loose their tension (if they ever had it properly set in the first place). Retuning is possible but an art which is getting lost.

There use to be many more doing this when the instrument was popular. There has been a return of popularity a few years ago when every other teen age girl in the Netherlands seemed to be playing accordion, ukulele and violin but that trend seems to have re-subsided now.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wanted a melodica, tried one, and realized it sounds just like an accordion. I play accordion, and once I switched to a Roland Vaccordion I have not touched my real accordion.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts