Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Returning long time member.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am between 3 tenors: Andy Sheppard Autograph - Eastman 52 St. - Signature Custom Raw XS

Does anyone of you had the chance to play these 3 saxophones?
Which is the difference in the sound?

I play blues, rock&roll, soul & funk music. I use a Durga 3 metal mpc.
Any advice?

It is almost impossible to be able to try these 3 saxophones in the same shop. I live in south Germany.
Any comment will be welcomed. Maybe someone could play 2 of the 3 saxes and can tell me any difference in the sound.
Thanks
Regards,

Mariano

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why'd you pick these 3?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I tried the 52nd eastman tenor at a store recently and really liked it. Big warm expressive sound - seemed like a great ballad type horn. I may get one in the future. I would need to research how well they are made and or holding up.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked these 3 because I read so many good comments from the people who tried them and play them.
Also these are the 3 saxophones that I could not try yet.
I tried:
Yamaha Custom 82Z GL
Selmer Series 3 GL
P. Mauriat 60
Many horns from Taiwan
Yanagisawa A010 GL

The unlacquered horns I`ve tried I liked very much how they sound.
Last week I could buy a Keilwerth SX90R Shadow used but in almost mint condition. Now it is in the SaxDoc for minor adjusting, but I find this sound not for rock or funk. It is too sweet and it lacks of edge and focus, this is why I keep on searching.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,178 Posts
Try a B&S (Made in Germany) 2001 or Medusa if you can find one locally to try. Would fit your style of music really well. You'll need to look for a used horn as no longer in production. You can expect to pay $1500 to $2000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,883 Posts
Last week I could buy a Keilwerth SX90R Shadow used but in almost mint condition. Now it is in the SaxDoc for minor adjusting, but I find this sound not for rock or funk. It is too sweet and it lacks of edge and focus, this is why I keep on searching.
Thanks!
Weird, because I owned one and it was a great Rock horn IMO due to how big and ballsy the tone was. Oh well, opinions and all that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cannot speak much to the other horns you are asking about, but the Eastman 52nd St is actually a pretty decent horn. So far as durability, they has seemed to hold up fairly well (keeping in consideration that they have not been around for 50+ years yet). Repair-wise, their "rolled" tone holes are actually just a ring that is soldered on. It makes it a lot easier to fix if the horn takes a nasty impact.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Weird, because I owned one and it was a great Rock horn IMO due to how big and ballsy the tone was. Oh well, opinions and all that.
I apologise in advance for saying this, but it is why it is close to pointless asking other people advice on what saxophone to buy, or what it sounds like. Also why you can mostly ignore reviews or "reviews" or Youtube video demonstrations.

Sorry.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bought a new tenor Medusa in year 2006 (now is my horn) but after 10 years of use the sax is each month in the workshop. Also when I´ve tried the Yamaha Custom 82Z I realize that the B&S is good but the Yamaha is a much better.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I apologise in advance for saying this, but it is why it is close to pointless asking other people advice on what saxophone to buy, or what it sounds like. Also why you can mostly ignore reviews or "reviews" or Youtube video demonstrations.

Sorry.
I am not asking other people which sax to buy, I am asking which difference in sound and playing do the have.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Aren't they all the same horn with different names laser engraved on them?
Whaler, I believe I have yet to see a post from you that isn't a stab at Taiwanese production.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Re: I am between 3 tenors: Andy Sheppard Autograph - Eastman 52 St. - Signature Custom Raw XS

Does anyone of you had the chance to play these 3 saxophones?
Which is the difference in the sound?

I play blues, rock&roll, soul & funk music. I use a Durga 3 metal mpc.
Any advice?

It is almost impossible to be able to try these 3 saxophones in the same shop. I live in south Germany.
Any comment will be welcomed. Maybe someone could play 2 of the 3 saxes and can tell me any difference in the sound.
I also play blues, rock&roll, soul & funk

The Andy Sheppard is extremely similar in sound to the SC Raw. The action is quite different and not so much to my taste (though presumably to Andy's taste). If there is any difference in response I;d say the Sheppard is a tad more resistant but I just admit didn't play them side by side (although I did probably playtested them within an hour of each other at Frankfurt Musikmesse). The Eastman (if we are talking about the same model) is a very different horn indeed. I think it has a slightly smaller bore (not necessarily a bad thing) but very free blowing. The sound is very slightly warmer I think, however nothing you can't change with your mouthpiece or embouchure.

All very good horns, though probably not ones I would choose straight off if I was to buy a new saxophone. Nonetheless, I'd be very happy to play any of them on a pro gig or session.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: I am between 3 tenors: Andy Sheppard Autograph - Eastman 52 St. - Signature Custom Raw XS

Thanks Pete!!!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
For what it's worth.
my tech likes the build on the 52nd horns more than any other Taiwanese horn he has seen.
We don't see the TJ horns out in California. Or at least I haven't.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I tried the 52nd eastman tenor at a store recently and really liked it. Big warm expressive sound - seemed like a great ballad type horn. I may get one in the future. I would need to research how well they are made and or holding up.

I agree with this ..... Big warm expressive sound from a horn that is very easy to play, especially the bell notes. I owned a 52nd Street tenor for a couple of years and played several others. These are big, heavy, solidly built tenors. Looks to me like they'll hold up as well as anything out there, I have no reason to think otherwise. I don't know anything about the other two horns mentioned.

Turtle

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Well I onwed the Raw xs and the Andy Sheppard. Both are heavy horns. Look the same. Ra for me sounded more robust, gutsy like. Very big, loud and free. The AS sounds a tad more smoother, refined like. Mine as very free and had amazing projection. Ergos are different on the AS plus a different more high neck angle and a different bell. For me the AS was nicer but both are fantastic. Intonation is tops.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Whaler, I believe I have yet to see a post from you that isn't a stab at Taiwanese production.
That's not really an answer.
They all look like exactly the same saxophone.
It seems the ones stamped Barone get it. The price seems more in line with what your buying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts