Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am annoyed with the groups I have been playing with blues and rock they all want to play so fast its annoying. I can play fast so what ! The point is the younger musicians have this behavior all the time . When I was young this was a way to impress women and or but I hate it now lol This week I am playing some flute with some awesome Jazz guys thank goodness lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I thought chicks liked slow songs?

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,497 Posts
I've noticed this going on for a long time.
I go to a jam session and everyone tries to play louder than the next guy, and they're calling SOME tunes at close to 300....Whoopie!!!!
I love to bust balls, so when its my turn to call a tune, I call a ballad at around 60. I love to hear what these guys actually sound like when they cant hide behind VOLUME and SPEED!!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,338 Posts
I've noticed this going on for a long time.
I go to a jam session and everyone tries to play louder than the next guy, and they're calling SOME tunes at close to 300....Whoopie!!!!
I love to bust balls, so when its my turn to call a tune, I call a ballad at around 60. I love to hear what these guys actually sound like when they cant hide behind VOLUME and SPEED!!!!!
+1

Control when playing ballads is a quick way to find out who has soul and who does not.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Higher, louder, faster -- that gets their attention, but it won't keep it.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Most women I know (and have enjoyed knowing) like slow, but with some occasional fast licks. So I have developed a style that incorporates both.

e.g. play a tune with lots of slow and/or melodic phrases that exhibit a good tone and imagination. But maybe though a fast clever lick just before the end.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Phil Woods once said "anyone can play a bebop tune. It takes a real musician to play a ballad." Romance her with a ballad, and she'll stick around. Let the young studs play the notes, you play the tunes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Phil Woods once said "anyone can play a bebop tune. It takes a real musician to play a ballad."
I used to race sailboats(J24) and there was a similar saying. "Anyone can sail in a hurricane" (which you heard on my boat a lot when losing when there was a decent breeze, or winning when there wasn't)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Fast playing. It's part of the learning curve most players need to go through before they realize being melodic is what's important. There's always someone faster. Someone whose got the chops to hang notes somewhere up in the stratosphere where others aren't. Not that others can't, just that that kind of playing isn't bread and butter playing.

They're going to have to mature past that. If you can stand it, stay with them. Maybe your style of playing will have a positive influence upon them.

Harv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts