Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i got myself a box of 2H filed. all wet in water for testing. 5 min soak and 7/10 reeds play with nice core sound and clarity. Finally......

i notice 2010 batch of rjs simply dud, muffle and plays like card board.......

More to test!! hope rjs reed starting to get better as i almost thought of changing brand.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
7 out of 10 is VERY good. I was never that lucky with any brand, except a few boxes of François Louis.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I have been getting 9 of 10 on baritone RJS. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used to use Jazz Select reeds. They were fairly consistent. I switched to Vandoren Javas and get on average one exceptional, three good, and one dud per box. It is not perfect but somehow I just like them better. I may just buy a box of Selects for laughs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,318 Posts
RJS work for me, they are as consistent as a cane reed is going to be, and the odd one or two in a box that dont fire right up can usually be sanded into good shape without too much effort. I like the 1/3 strength grading, probably helps to weed out some of the duds.

Wouldnt like to swear I can tell a huge difference between Filed and Unfiled. Maybe a bit more jazyness for want of a better word from the unfiled ones...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If you work on the reeds, that is adjust them, I'll bet you get 10 out of 10 with your RSJ's. Or any other good reed for that matter. (Not Orange box, there are some reeds that just shouldn't be sold, so they put them in an orange box...)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
If you work on the reeds, that is adjust them, I'll bet you get 10 out of 10 with your RSJ's. Or any other good reed for that matter. (Not Orange box, there are some reeds that just shouldn't be sold, so they put them in an orange box...)
I've done that multiple times, but I always end up ruining the reeds or they just don't sound that good anyway so it's really not worth all the effort (and yes, yes, I've read everything there is to read about reed preparation ...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts