Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Tenor Saxophone at Marsh Woodwinds, and the guy suggested a Hunter. He said that they were made in China, but were very good quality instruments. He mentioned that no one had come back with any complaints in the last year (they were introduced 2 or 3 years ago) It was very cheap, and plays easily and overall pretty well. He also said that Selmer used the same manufacturer as them. Does anyone know if this is a reputable saxophone maker, and if it will last 4+ years for marching band?

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Oh boy, where to start:

Rather than give a detailed synopsis of this topic, suffice it to say that there is no way to determine a make/model and it's worth in a Chinese horn by the name du jour that is stamped/engraved/stenciled on the thing.

There are factories churning out horns of WIDELY varying quality and workmanship and putting just about any name on them per the retailer's request, including many different factories making horns and parts for the very same "line" of horns

Buying a Chinese horn right now is a real crap shoot. You might end up with one of the few that are good value for money, or a real dog.

One way for a prospective buyer to determine the value and future of a horn in question, lacking knowledge of the finer points in horn design and construction themselves, would be to take a trusted woodwind technician along to inspect the horn before buying.
JUST like buying a used car.

Best of luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
Sorry to be so late to the party. This afternoon I was at another dealer's shop and he was selling Hunters. The curved soprano was outstanding and I didn't play the bari but he sold a Couf to get the Hunter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know that this is a really old thread, but I'm considering getting a Hunter tenor too. Did you get the Hunter, and did it work out for you if you did get it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
Hi SaxLover...generally, you aren't gonna get a reply on a post started by someone 4 years ago. Bruce is still here, as is Saxismyaxe....but I'd imagine the original poster is long gone.

I understand..on a websearch there is a dearth of information on this brand....plus there's Randy Hunter and Laura Hunter and Chris Hunter....so your search probably landed you on this thread.

Here's something else:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ved-Soprano-Review&highlight=hunter+saxophone

Member Graysax seems to have a good beat on these...and the guy is hella experienced, so one can probably trust his judgment. He seems to have some sorta business avenue with the company.

You may wanna contact him via his website (?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Hunter New York Sporanino... & just last August (2011), I bought a Hunter low A bari... I have had a Selmer Mk VI alto, tenor & bari for over 30 years... I also bought, a couple of years ago, a Steve Goodson model alto & tenor (also made in China) I now play the Steve Goodson model alto & tenor and the Hunter bari on all my gigs. My Selmer Mk VI alto is currently being "restored"... completely taken apart, cleaned, re-paded, re-corked & re-springed.. then the same to my Mk VI tenor.. all this to say... there are good horns .. and bad horns that come out of China... Just so happens, that the Steve Goodson model saxes.. and the Hunter brand are GOOD saxes. I have been playing sax for for close to 50 years.. all styles, rock, classical, big band, jazz, I also own a Selmer Omega alto (another good sax), a Conn shooting star alto (a not so good sax)... but just as certain as some China made saxes are good (& bad), the same is true for any name brand sax... Not all Selmer Mk VI are GOOD horns. I played a King Super 20 alto for years... hated it... when I got my Mk VI alto, I sold the Super 20 as fast as I could. All horns, no matter what the brand, need to be played to see how YOU like it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yup, an old thread. I revived it because there have been several Hunter saxophones for sale on Reverb and that auction site for winning losers.

Some Accent tenors are decent sounding horns. Are they all in perfect intonation and balanced throughout their range? Probably not. "Blatty" is a new one on me; the demo sale video showed the horn played bottom to top. I think that was its point.

Consider that the model with double arm C and B covers and ribbed construction could be had for under 500 bucks new, and that they usually play to their low Bb easily by a beginner, it's not difficult to understand why there were no complaints.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,492 Posts
they appear to be generic Chinese made saxophones. the price is also “ sui generis” , I see no reason to invest any time or money in a saxophone like this but if you like it, great.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You see no reason because you are not a beginning player or a parent with limited funds looking for an easy playing saxophone. According to owners, not those who have not owned one, they are well worth their cost.

Views on these and other "brands" of Asian horns have changed over the years, as you know. We now have experienced players and long-time SOTW members praising Cecilio Mendini saxes, for example. I thought that anyone finding this old thread about Hunters would read what I find to be incorrect and inaccurate information, and only the old prejudices against Asian horns. Like I read in other posts, that no shops work on them, or that repairs are impossible to make. That old info permeates SOTW and is absolutely wrong today.

·
40,492 Posts
I have absolutely no prejudice about “ Asian” saxophones, in fact I have worked, for a few years as the export manager of Taiwanse maker.

Yet, I see no reason to buy a sax like this that will cost you as much as a good second hand better known brand, which will retain its value, as opposed to a next to unknown brand that will turn into a very low value object the moment you try to sell it.

Precisely from the perspective of a parent (which I am) or a student not knowing whether I am going to stay with playing saxophone or not it will be in their best interest to buy a better known saxophone which is not only more reliable but also retain a residual commercial value close the the purchase price (if bought secondhand).

If such student or his/her parents would spend the same amount of money they could buy a secondhand Yamaha (or even more cheaply a Taiwanese Jupiter) and get a certainly reliable saxophone which you can sell or exchange easily. Incidentally “ Asian”? Yamaha is Japanese and Jupiter is Taiwanese. Both Asian countries.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have absolutely no prejudice about “ Asian” saxophones, in fact I have worked, for a few years as the export manager of Taiwanse maker.

Yet, I see no reason to buy a sax like this that will cost you as much as a good second hand better known brand, which will retain its value, as opposed to a next to unknown brand that will turn into a very low value object the moment you try to sell it.

Precisely from the perspective of a parent (which I am) or a student not knowing whether I am going to stay with playing saxophone or not it will be in their best interest to buy a better known saxophone which is not only more reliable but also retain a residual commercial value close the the purchase price (if bought secondhand).

If such student or his/her parents would spend the same amount of money they could buy a secondhand Yamaha (or even more cheaply a Taiwanese Jupiter) and get a certainly reliable saxophone which you can sell or exchange easily. Incidentally “ Asian”? Yamaha is Japanese and Jupiter is Taiwanese. Both Asian countries.
Never wrote that you yourself were biased against Asian (whatever brand, logo, stencil, etc. from the east off-brand) horns.

A perfect condition Yamaha YTS-23 or successor model, or a Jupiter JTS-700-1100 series, playing easily from its low Bb is not going to be found for the price of a Hunter or similar off-brand tenor. Sorry, but I think that's a fact. I'd venture to say it would cost a parent double; and I follow the prices of used student to intermediate models closely.

You mention investing and resale. Certainly resale cost differential plays into the horn's cost over time. But a good playing tenor that sold brand new for 500 bucks is nothing anyone is seriously thinking of as an investment. The people shopping in the range that such a sax will sell for used are comparing purchase to rental cost. That is, they are in the expendable range.

And are student model Yamahas and Jupiters more reliable? One could argue that, due to their high initial cost, they receive better care and more regular service; not that they are really superior horns justifying sometimes an additional $1,000 outlay when new.

In any event, I have never worked for nor been associated with an Asian company. I also do not own a Hunter, and am not hyping it. BTW, there is an excellent condition Hunter tenor available on Reverb now at $400 OBO. Really can't find a similar Yamaha or Jupiter near that price at present.

·
40,492 Posts
unicuique suum

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
You see no reason because you are not a beginning player or a parent with limited funds looking for an easy playing saxophone. According to owners, not those who have not owned one, they are well worth their cost.

Views on these and other "brands" of Asian horns have changed over the years, as you know. We now have experienced players and long-time SOTW members praising Cecilio Mendini saxes, for example. I thought that anyone finding this old thread about Hunters would read what I find to be incorrect and inaccurate information, and only the old prejudices against Asian horns. Like I read in other posts, that no shops work on them, or that repairs are impossible to make. That old info permeates SOTW and is absolutely wrong today.
I agree with you extradarcafe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,745 Posts
I also do not own a Hunter, and am not hyping it. BTW, there is an excellent condition Hunter tenor available on Reverb now at $400 OBO. Really can't find a similar Yamaha or Jupiter near that price at present.
Well, you are hyping it by telling folks where to waste their money on one. And you've never played one? And stop it with the "Asian" prejudice thing. Folks speak out against Chinese business practices where you send them your product design and then they ship models out the back door to compete with you under their own or another label. They have no regard for intellectual property and their form of government will never have them improving their exports the way that Japan or Taiwan have done. In summary, China made complete junk for a while, and that continues. Some of their products showed improvement, but that was soon outweighed by the competing products shipped out the back door of their factories which were more miss than hit.

You want to help students and their parents from wasting money? Have them buy used saxophones from reputable brands that have withstood the test of time. Not some crap generic horn which will only hold its scrap value.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts