Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in Claude Humber pieces for a while (I honestly don't know why), and recently picked up a Humber alto piece. Someone once said (on this forum, I think) that they looked like they were made from Brilhart blanks. Lo and behold I got a good deal on a Carlsbad-era Ebolin tenor, and as a side-by-side comparison, adjusting for size, I agree with this. Claude Humber is known for working on the mouthpieces of several big name players including Coltrane and Cannonball, but his own line of mouthpieces are either not all that well-known or perhaps not well-liked. Brilharts certainly are though.

I know there are little bits and pieces about Humber on the forum, but only a few posts about his branded pieces. Does anyone have more info on them? Is the Humber-Brilhart connection accurate? Are Humber pieces the "poor man's Brilhart"? Granted, you can frequently find nice Brillys under $100, so that's not saying much...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gunnar Mossblad learned from/worked with Humber, and at one time even got to check out the book where Humber recorded the specs for all the players he did work for (he doesn't know what became of the book itself after Humber's passing, though). You might try reaching out to him to see if he knows anything about Humber's own pieces.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I visited Claude Humber a few times in 1981-83, and have a few of his pieces from then. My guess would be no, but I can post close-up pics if that would help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts