Sax on the Web Forum banner

http://www.detroitsaxophonecenter.com

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  LostConn 
#1 ·
http://www.detroitsaxophonecenter.com

Today I visited a store just a few miles from my house that I never knew existed, The Detroit Saxophone Center/Detroit Wayne Music Studio. Very friendly staff, clean store, and a good neighborhood. A great store!

Don't let the name scare you off, they have a little bit of things for most all musicians. I saw flutes, clarinets, a baritone horn, a piano, and a few guitars in the corner.

But where the store really excelled was in saxophones and accessories. Reeds, ligatures, mouthpieces, sheet music, I could go on and on. There is so much more available in the store than what is listed on the website. If you are in need of a saxophone accessory (or any woodwind accessory), it is worth calling to see if they have it in stock. Really, any saxophone player within an hour of this store owes it to themself to visit once. I'm sure you'll find something interesting to try, buy or play.

#5 ·
Thanks to a travel delay, i got to visit today with rick and ron. Saw some cool Saxes from the past and present. Heard some good stories from the past too. And I got to play a silversonic tenor, but on a loaner mp since I didn't have mine with me. Definitely drop by if you are in detroit.

#9 ·
I would like to add a hearty Hear Hear! to the discussion. Rick is a great technician, but more important, a great guy who is a straight shooter. You can actually sit down and watch him work, and he welcomes it! It's like you're hanging with him in his family room or something. Other shops I been in you can't see what's going on behind the curtain and it's just "trust us, your money will be well spent… we know what we're doing…" Now if he'd just move to the West Side, which is of course the best side!!!

#10 ·
I'm afraid that I have to completely rescind my earlier recommendations of the Detroit Saxophone Center. I've been reluctant to go public with this, but I believe the time has come.

To do a full rebuild on my S1 he wanted $1k, with $500 up front for supplies (pads, resos, etc.). After he strung me along for ten months I finally picked the horn up in pieces, the only thing he’d done was straighten the body tube and yank out all of the pads from the keys. He refused to refund any of the deposit, even though he hadn’t even ordered any of the pads - claimed to have done half the work. He had previously quoted $140 to straighten the tube and give it back assembled and in working order. My new tech (who didn’t ask for an up front deposit) needed to do a bunch of key fitting before he could put it back together, the thing was a mess. Half the work done, my ***.

Eventually he offered to give me $200 back but it’s been weeks and he’s just making excuses. Yeah, I know that I should have pulled the plug months sooner before he’d done anything at all to it, but I’d always liked the guy and didn’t think that he’d backstab someone who’d always been a good customer and had recommended him so glowingly to everyone who asked. I wonder who else he’s ripped off; I doubt I’m the only one, and the place looks like he’s having serious cash flow issues.

Stay away.

#12 ·
Their domain seems to have been abandoned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.