Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"HS" is stamped on the table of my OL Reso Chamber, what does it mean?
Was it refaced by "HS"? And if so, who is HS?

Attachments

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,840 Posts
Those marks on the table make the rubber look gummy. That’s worrisome.
Either way, Otto Link had pieces marked HS, which stood for Hawkins Special.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Didn't SML inscribe some of its saxophones Hawkins Special?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
Could stand for Hymie Schertzer also since Hawk played exclusively metal Links w/ that stamping
The mouthpiece museum does show that hard rubber mpcs were marked with a hawkins special:

"The first Florida Rubber TONE EDGE mouthpieces had Otto Link written at a 45 degree angle across the back of the mouthpiece, invoking the name Slant Signature Otto Links. The first versions had the tip opening stamp on the table. The shank was rounder and they had a slightly larger chamber than the later Florida models. It larger chamber and lower baffle than the later models with the tip opening on the side. Hence it had a darker sound closer to the New York models. This first version was only made up to a 6. Though they also made a H.S. (Hawkins Special) that measured out to a 6 and a J.A. (Joe Allard) version that measured to 6*. Joseph Allard was a professor at the Juilliard School of Music."

I could not see any such reference in the earlier hard rubber section. Perhaps I missed it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now contacted Nicolas Trefeil in France.
He confirms the authenticity of the engraved letters HS on my Reso Chamber tenor mouthpiece.
And in fact the letters are the same as those in the photo of the 4 star link on Nicolas Trefeils home page.
We must therefore hereby state that there is at least 1 Hawkins Special Reso Chamber tenor saxophone mouthpiece.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
So there were Hawkins Special metal otto links.
Then there were both reso chamber and Tone Edge hard rubber otto links marked HS for Hawkins Special, as well.

That is very interesting.

Is the mpc in original condition?
What is the tip opening?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems that the mouthpiece, except for a locked pick up hole, is original.
The tip opening is about 0.78 "

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,632 Posts
From vintage Link sales literature, Hawkins Special was listed as the 6 (for both Resotone and later Slant Signatures). The catalog below is 1940. The Joe Allard facing wasn't associated with a number, so guessing it is in between a 6 and a 7 might be correct given the way it is listed in Link literature. I've seen an H.S. Tone Edge with a 6 (on the side) and without a 6 and it doesn't appear to be a unique curvature, just a tip opening.

Just like stamping an old standard ligature with a "T" makes it an official "Otto Link" ligature, it is possible to stamp any old Otto Link with an H.S. and then call it a Hawkins Special. But it seems that only the .090 tip opening was considered by Otto to me a Hawkins Special. And then there's the question of whether a Hawkins Special that has been opened up beyond .090 (#6) is still a Hawkins Special.

Mark
1940 Link catalog resochamber.jpg

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
From vintage Link sales literature, Hawkins Special was listed as the 6 (for both Resotone and later Slant Signatures). The catalog below is 1940. The Joe Allard facing wasn't associated with a number, so guessing it is in between a 6 and a 7 might be correct given the way it is listed in Link literature. I've seen an H.S. Tone Edge with a 6 (on the side) and without a 6 and it doesn't appear to be a unique curvature, just a tip opening.

Just like stamping an old standard ligature with a "T" makes it an official "Otto Link" ligature, it is possible to stamp any old Otto Link with an H.S. and then call it a Hawkins Special. But it seems that only the .090 tip opening was considered by Otto to me a Hawkins Special. And then there's the question of whether a Hawkins Special that has been opened up beyond .090 (#6) is still a Hawkins Special.

Mark
View attachment 230706
I like the statement that the facings are cut to 1/10,000 of an inch accuracy. If only that was true today... and maybe then too...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I think that is a bit over-optimistic for a 1940 statement. 1/10,000 inch is 2.5 µm and there were some instruments that could go that precise - on a good day, anyway... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,746 Posts
Wow, they considered a 4* "open" back in the day. Not sure how many current non-beginners are playing on 4* pieces, but I'm guessing it's miniscule.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
When I said "I like that statement..." I didn't mean I believed it :) Actually, 1/1000" is reasonably good accuracy for a facing even today and with modern CNC mills is probably achievable :) Maybe even half a thousandth. If you want accuracy to 1/10,000 you need to spend some money. And be good at what you do...

·
Registered
Tenors: TM Custom; MkVI 96k and 124k
197 Posts
Wow, the prices have changed a bit! Can I still order one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts