Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard rubber Berg Larsen for Tenor I may wish to sell.
I’m absolutely struggling to define what it is with regards to age and value in a way thats become quite structured in the Otto Link world and I don’t want to give it away or over price it so I’m looking for some help.
Before I start I want to say that having read lots of stuff about vintage mouthpieces being better than modern equivalents and also read stuff to the contrary where that is all hype and you should just learn the mouthpiece you have etc, lets not go down the route of assessing for gullible buyers and greedy sellers.
I just know that different era’s bought different features to the party and I want to get it right.

This piece is marked Berg Larsen on the top of the shank and 100/2/SMS on the table side of the shank and the SMS is offset to the right. According to Doc Tenney on another thread this offset disappeared in the 1970’s.
It has no cap, ligature or box (that said I was sure it came with a brass ligature stamped berg larsen london but I have lost it).
All the markings are quite faint on the mouthpiece and the shank is slightly green.
There are no teeth marks or damage to note despite understanding that it has been around a while.
It has a bullet chamber.
The side walls are straight.
The table shows a demin pattern when viewed closely so again from Doc, an era now shifts to mid to late 1960’s.
I have no idea whether it has been lightly refaced but my suspicion is that it has not.

Supporting that suspicion, here is the story.
I have 2 rubber bergs bought separately about a year apart from different sources.
The other has the same markings except the chamber is a 3 not a 2. Incidentally thats the only reason I’m keeping that one, it is not quite as bright and I prefer that these days.
But they look almost identical side by side to the naked eye. One common geometric feature holding the mouthpiece with the window and table towards you is where the tip and the left hand rail meet is a sharper angle than the tip and the right hand rail which curves more gently into each other. I can’t imagine feature being a desirable thing to replicate during a reface and its consistent on both pieces. I guess if a reface was light it may simply remain from original?
Hard to photograph the consistency as the iPhone camera lens and the way the mouthpieces have rested makes them not appear that consistent but they are!! and the piece on the left is much more true to how they both appear to the naked eye.
If anything, the rails are slightly thinner on the 2 chamber piece and from that I have an illusion that the window is wider at the tip.
Importantly it plays fine but whether it can be improved upon for a berg lover by being refaced I just don’t know.
Being bergs I guess measuring the tip in my quest would tell me nothing about originality. Anyway they feel about right.

Clearly my own research leads me to think 1960’s
But originality and approximate value has me stumped.

View attachment 234538

View attachment 234540

View attachment 234542

View attachment 234544

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Probably late '60s. The rounded shank end and other indicators agree. They look pretty much original to me.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help @1saxman.
If so, then I guess I need to look through some sold ads for that era.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
This series of bergs is usually pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts