Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the sound I can get from the Dukoff D but it feels way too narrow in my mouth. I'm primarily a tenor metal mpc player. Would like recommendations on similar sounding mouthpieces that are either HR or a wider feeling metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
My Saxscape Downtown which is supposedly inspired by a Miami Dukoff D is beyond outstanding. Scary good in fact. And believe me I'm a picky bitch. I wish tooth cushions would stick to the material better. Always have problems with getting patches to stick to plastic Brillharts and also this delrin or nylon or whatever this stuff is.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's about how they feel to you, and how easy you can get your sound to come thru.
Charles McNeil shows that your sound is "Your Sound" on most of the different mouthpieces. Play what allows your notes to flow freely and with the amount of resistance you like. Dukoff D 7s tend to stay on the bright side and many players like that but the low end can get thin. Listen for brightness and full low and middle notes in the examples played by Charles McNeil. He plays two of the mentioned "Jumbo Javas" in the examples. If you are talking Tenor Sax and the concept is basically the same. Find comfort in your choice. High baffle keeps that Dukoff sound for most players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I know Dukoff players who have switched to Drake Studio.
http://www.drakemouthpieces.com/Studio_Tenor_Model.html
Drake doesn't make a Studio Alto model, but the Contemporary Alto is a great alternative to the Dukoff. See it here: http://www.drakemouthpieces.com/Vintage_Resin_.html#Contemporary_Alto

[Edit] I looked in my drawers of mouthpieces and counted 8 Dukoff alto mouthpieces that I went through over 20 years of playing them. They are bent, crunched, mangled from the soft metal they are made from. Some have been refaced multiple times down to nubs. I had a real love-hate relationship with them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I saw on YouTube there is a Sanborn Drake model coming. Apparently Sanborn has been using a Drake for a while. At least according to YouTube’s video with Sanborn trying out “his” Drake custom mouthpiece

1 - 13 of 13 Posts