Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i am playing a vandoren V16 T77 metal tenor mpc.
under the believe of any consistency or similarity, i ordered a (new) vandoren V16 T8 ebonite mpc.
this mouthpiece does not really sounds alike the metal T77 one.
does anybody have any recommendation for a tenor hr/ebonite mpc with somewhat same characteristics (tip, chamber, ...) as my T77 pls?
thanks in advance
Luc

·
Registered
271 Posts
Isn’t the old T77 a narrow chambered piece? Maybe a Java would be closer to that chamber profile, but maybe has more baffle. Morgan may be worth checking out. I have a tenor Morgan Excalibur that plays pretty spunky and bright for a mouthpiece with a large chamber. Why are you no longer on the T77 (if that’s the case)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will give the morgan excalibur tenor large chamber a try
i just wanted to explore hard rubber or ebonite material.
I keep returning to and am still playing mostly with the T77.
Yesterday, we compared against a newer otto link (only a 6 tip) but in the end i still prefer the T77 (it had more warmth and brightness in it compared to the OL (but aonly minor if i am honest)
Thanks for the advice/tip!
Luc

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I would recommend the Morgan Excalibur 8E but the med chamber, I think you’d find it more in line with the response of the T77.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the current line of morgan mpcs excalibur type does not seem to mention the E type
(assuming the M model would be the replacement for the E , just wondering whether the excalibur 8M is still the same in geometry as the 'older' 8E).

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe the “E” was to designate it as an Excalibur, so an Excalibur 8M would be an “E”. Check with junkdude.com as they are the source for Morgan mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
I play t77. It has a smallish, medium chamber. Small rollover baffle and most importantly straight sidewalls.

A rubber Berg with a .110 tip and a very low baffle may be worth trying since it also has straight sidewalls.

The Morgan Excaliburs that were already mentioned will have a similar resistance and feel in your mouth.

The clips of the new Saxscape Live mouthpieces remind me of the metal v16 sound and has me intrigued.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info on the saxscape mpc.
it appears that these saxscape live mpcs are hard to get (no entries on ebay e.g. ).
i hope that over time one comes available (or a morgan excalibur) so that i can give this a try

1 - 8 of 8 Posts