Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Then, they claim to have a professional level instrument, but they price it at the intermediate level. Did they blink?

Are these underpriced sleepers that hold their own against the Big Four and other pro horns, or are they just okay for the price, which has been my opinion of Antigua for a long time.
No, they are very good for the price. Forget labels like intermediate and professional, they are meaningless.

There are many saxophones at that kind of price that (IMO) are way better than modern Selmers etc.

Look at the

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Are they only "very good for the price" or are they "excellent at any price?"

I understand your point about labels, but I thought that "premium brands," "price leaders," "discounters" and other marketing jargon would be awkward. Perhaps that is what we on SOTW should do, that is, use marketing jargon to communicate more clearly about the products we buy.
By very good for the price I mean that the quality would imply a (much) higher price (if you buy into the myth you get what you pay for). When test played the ProOne it was just after checkin out a few Selmers and I had to say the ProOne was quite a lot better.

The big problem with those marketing labels is people believe them, unless a company honestly describes a mid- priced instrument as professional.

It works when a company has various lines and someone thinks that if they have a so-called intermediate, then at some stage they will need to "upgrade." So within a few years that company gets two sales.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
How often are low-end leaks an intractable problem on sop the way they sometimes can be on alto, tenor, or bari?
I've never known them to be a intractable problem on alto, tenor or bari.

Definition of intractable
: not easily governed, managed, or directed <intractable problems>
: not easily manipulated or shaped <intractable metal>
: not easily relieved or cured <intractable pain>

Obviously I have had leaks there but generally it's just a question of sorting the pads, or a bit of adjustment. Or take the horn to my tech and he hits it with a hammer and all is well again.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
That's why I said "sometimes." For some people, they can be;
I know you said "sometimes," and that was why i was responding because I was trying to respectfully disagree about "sometimes." Of course people have problems but unless the horn was flattened by a steamroller or something, I am not aware of those leaks not being fixable at all.

. And you don't have to paste in a definition of "intractable"; I don't use words that I don't understand.
I didn't think you did, I looked it up for myself to check what it meant, and pasted it in as some other people (as well as me) may not know the correct meaning. Just trying to be helpful in general with no intention of being condescending

Anyway, the point of my post was not to lament the problem of leaks in general, but to assert that trident arms -- designed as a way to help eliminate leaks -- are overkill on a soprano sax. They are almost surely unnecessary. Do you agree with that?
Absolutely I agree, but I also think they are unnecessary on any horn. The saxophone has survived nearly 200 years without them. I think the ProOne is a great horn (you can see my glowing praise o the Antigua website) but I think it would be just as good without them.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
My sense is that Peter Ponzol & co. must really believe that the trident arms do help on the alto and tenor ProOne horns. Whether that's true or not, who can say? I've written in another thread that I have no idea whether the double arms on my Yanagisawa alto make a difference. I do know, however, that my Yany tenor works just fine with only single arms.
In spite of what I said above about them being unnecessary, perhaps double arms, and maybe chickenfeet do make a difference to the strength and may help in regard to the sturdyness of the horn if it gets bumped or dropped. So possibly necessary in that regard but not in normal use I think. However as we know that is not the stated reason for them in the case of the ProOne.

such that Antigua was reluctant to omit them from the ProOne soprano, lest customers think they weren't getting the full set of innovations.
Could it be that they considered them useful on soprano also.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
The only vibration problems come on Eb/C rollers. It defies my logic and raise my BS alert.
I've known side Bb vibrations to be an issue also.

I would have thought that if it's vibrations in the body of the saxophone causing the need for the chicken feet, then it woud be better to sort out the eason for those vibrations being caused. ie fix the cause of the problem not just band-aid the symptoms.

Pete said he like the tenors better than Selmers he had been testing. I have contacted all the music stores within a 3 hour drive, but no one has a soprano in stock.
I would go further and say that after the Selmers, the Antigua completely bowled me over. Which is interesting because I really like some Selmers.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
My apologies, you are right. I did not realize to which thread I was responding.

The street price on the sopranos is at least $2750. That is a lot to me right now, and for that much, there a lot of options in used saxes in great condition.
It is a huge amount to spend on something you haven't even tried out, and will depreciate hugely as soon as you play it. Obviously used is better value, but I would also say these days there are better new instruments around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts