Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a vandoren hygrocase off of recomendations from friends and reviews I read on the internet, but I can't seem to figure out how it works...do I use the clear tube thingy to put drops of water on the green sponge that's in the case or do I just play the reeds/wet them and put them into the case to get the humidity to increase? I wet the green sponge thing pretty well and the humidy doesn't seem to want to move past 36%...does it just take time?

And before someone mentions it - I did search this and read some other posts, but I'm still confused.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,207 Posts
Um... Didn't it come with directions on how to use it?
From past experience with many things 'Vandoren' there is usually a little shiney paper folded around the item inside the box. One side has advertisements, the other generally has instructions on the 'care and feeding' of the item you just purchased.
You may want to check the trash....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um... Didn't it come with directions on how to use it?
From past experience with many things 'Vandoren' there is usually a little shiney paper folded around the item inside the box. One side has advertisements, the other generally has instructions on the 'care and feeding' of the item you just purchased.
You may want to check the trash....
Yep I have directions for it, but they're very unclear as to how exactly you go about using the case.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I have a couple of these. Youmust be careful becuase if you live somewhere very humid, these cases will possibly keep the reed too wet all the time and so they can go mouldy.
they can help the reeds to dry out more slowly and avoid CRS (crinkly reed syndrome) when you wet a totally dry reed.

Normally I found that just putting the reed in there without adding any water did the trick, but if in a really really dry condition you could add water, but just watch out that they don't stay damp all the time.

I think the ideal is that instead of the reed drying out within say an hour or two, it's still slightly moist when you come back from lunch. But you might not want a reed to stay wet for two or more days, it could start to grow things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts