Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i play all types of music on bari and alto. my alto setup is great now, but i need a new bari mouthpiece. i have a c** that works great for classical, but it doesn't keep up in the big band environment. i've asked around, and people tell me to try out peices like the ria, the berg larson, and the lawton... but the problem is i don't know where i could try out these pieces. WWBW doesn't seem to accept returns on mouthpieces, and none of the local stores do either. what would be a good website to try out? also, which mouthpiece would you suggest?

btw, i play on a superaction 80's series II.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sofunkinsweet said:
btw, i play on a superaction 80's series II.
Since your in New Yawk, make a trip in to the big apple and try as many pieces as you can get your hands on. There are plenty of stores in New York that'll have a good selection of pieces that you can try out. Bring reeds of a few different strengths (harder and softer than you normally play.) If you actually go into the store you can try everything they have instead of being mailed 2 or 3. And if you find a model and tip opening that you like try every one like that one that they have each mouthpiece will have slight differences.
I can't speak to what the best places are since the only time I tried to try out mouthpieces in New York was when I went in to Roberto's to try some Lambersons and they were all out. I was unhappy (luckily that wasn't the only reason I was in NY.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try to get down there, but it would be nice if i could be referred to an online source... the city is a good 3 hr drive down, and my schedule is swamped... but thanks for the info

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a music store in downtown Schenectady called Hermies that usually has a good selection of mouthpieces....ask for Norm (owner).

Also WW&BW has a mothpiece trial program where they will send you 4 for a ten day trial provided you pay for one up front. I believe they charge a cleaning fee of $5 on the returned pieces.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
rnalbert said:
There is a music store in downtown Schenectady called Hermies that usually has a good selection of mouthpieces....ask for Norm (owner).
Support your local stores! It's so much better, whenever possible, to be able to try out a bunch of mouthpieces in a store with knowledgable staff than ordering what you think may or may not be right for you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
Support your local stores! It's so much better, whenever possible, to be able to try out a bunch of mouthpieces in a store with knowledgable staff than ordering what you think may or may not be right for you.
There's no point in supporting local stores. They don't even come close to the prices on the internet and they don't have any good mouthpieces to choose from. They usually carry a coupel links meyers and maybe a couple other brands. It would be good to support local stores, but untill they can carry mouthpieces that are actually worth trying and priced competitively I won't be visiting any time soon.:evil:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
sopranosaxman said:
There's no point in supporting local stores. They don't even come close to the prices on the internet and they don't have any good mouthpieces to choose from. They usually carry a coupel links meyers and maybe a couple other brands. It would be good to support local stores, but untill they can carry mouthpieces that are actually worth trying and priced competitively I won't be visiting any time soon.:evil:
Where are you going to take your horn when you drop it, smartguy? When you've got a gig or an audition the next day and you need the work done right away? Plus, being able to walk into a shop and buy the reeds that you need is great. I've never had to wait for reeds to show up in the mail.
I'm lucky to have a great shop in town. When you've got a good one, support it. What you can learn in a knowledgable shop is worth way more than the $15 you save on the mouthpiece. I'd also way rather see my hard earned money going to the father of 3 that's fixed my horns for 10 years than to some faceless warehouse in Indiana. (Who just went bankrupt, so don't count on those deals lasting.)
What's wrong with Meyers and Links? If you can't sound good on a Meyer on alto or a Link on Tenor, you need more time in the shed; not a new mouthpiece.

·
Registered
681 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
Where are you going to take your horn when you drop it, smartguy? When you've got a gig or an audition the next day and you need the work done right away? Plus, being able to walk into a shop and buy the reeds that you need is great. I've never had to wait for reeds to show up in the mail.
I'm lucky to have a great shop in town. When you've got a good one, support it. What you can learn in a knowledgable shop is worth way more than the $15 you save on the mouthpiece. I'd also way rather see my hard earned money going to the father of 3 that's fixed my horns for 10 years than to some faceless warehouse in Indiana. (Who just went bankrupt, so don't count on those deals lasting.)
What's wrong with Meyers and Links? If you can't sound good on a Meyer on alto or a Link on Tenor, you need more time in the shed; not a new mouthpiece.
Well for my horn repairs I take them to my tech that runs his repair business out of his house. Also, I never said anything was wrong with meyers and links. My main piece on tenor is a link. And believe me you save a lot more than $15 on mothpieces and especially reeds when you order from one of the mail order services. I walked in to my local store yesterday to purchase some reeds for my clarinet and I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the box and the price they wanted was $47 when i could get the same reeds at a mailorder store for $20. I think someone will have to agree with me that charging that much for a box of reeds is outrageous. I feel bad for the people that don't know about the mail order store prices and are getting ripped off by these local music stores. I've only come across one local store that will match internet pricing, but they don't carry a huge selection of reeds, but if theres an emergency I know that would be the place to stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i support my local stores, but hermies is a rip, and they never repair my instruments right, or fast. billy cole is the way to go in saratoga.

thanks for the help all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts