Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Legeres. Currently using an Alto, Signature 2.5. Took a bit to get used to it, and am enjoying it a lot now.

How will I know when it's starting to get close to it's end of life? Does it get soft, or does it begin to sound tired and uncentered, etc?

Thanks!!

William

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I usually have a replacement reed at hand and compare the well used reed with its' eventual replacement. At some point the new reed will play obviously better, not necessarily harder but with more core to the sound. I have been using Legere Classics on bari for about 15 years. Tips can split and warp too and still play.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wondered about that myself. I have just done 350 hours on Legere Classic #2 for tenor (I keep a record). I have in mind doing what Stretch does. I'll probably notice a difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I find that when the altissimo starts to get “wobbly”, it’s time to replace. By that time, a new Legere of the same strength seems a bit hard, so I guess they get a bit softer over time... I find that 3-4 months of regular use does it. I get about 6 months out of a pair in rotation. I probably play about 10 hours a week these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts