Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play on a 1960 Buescher Aristocrat Mark III Bari Sax, and with it's age the finish on it has started to corrode a bit (I personally like how it looks however), thus revealing what seems to be copper. I played on it a lot, and just so happened to forget to empty my spit valve or do any cleaning at all before leaving it for a month while I recovered from having my wisdom teeth pulled. I started playing again for about a month, failing to remember the sacred ritual of cleaning my sax. When I finally emptied the spit valve, all of it was green, and the cloth I use to clean the inside was green as well. Is this just from the copper, or is there mold in my sax? Do saxes even have copper in them, or is it just the metal corroding on it? Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Saxes are brass which is an alloy of copper and zinc, so yes, there is copper. Whether the green gunk is from copper, mold or bacteria is hard to say, but in your position I'd be tempted to pour some isopropyl alcohol into the neck receiver and give it a good swish around the area of the neck where moisture collects: ideally put the bari on a stand and leave the alcohol in there for 10-15 mins to kill anything nasty.

Then empty out the alcohol and let the sax dry thoroughly before playing because isopropyl alchol fumes are not good for you.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Hmmm... It's probably a mix of mold, bacteria, and some verdigris (copper sulfate) for coloring from the brass leaching out the zinc. I wouldn't drink it. It won't kill you, but it's not particularly healthy.

Forget the alcohol. Just swab it out and let it dry. It will be fine.

You should see what comes out of trumpets and trombones when they get cleaned -- which is rarely. All manner of rotten debris (chewed peanuts as an example) is collecting in those.

·
8,588 Posts
^^ +1 if you don't already have one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,226 Posts
And next time you get her serviced, consider springing the extra $60 or so for a chem bath. Sounds like your horn definitely has verdgris as well as some red rot. Like Maddenma says, won't kill you...but nice to get rid of when you get the opportunity...

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
did you taste it!!!!!! YUK...what a great question....
what about your bari spit valve,do you use it,or are you collecting for some vile purpose?
hahahahahahahah....
hope you are doing well mike....
cheers,philip
Did you taste it ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,942 Posts
[ . . . . ]

You should see what comes out of trumpets and trombones when they get cleaned -- which is rarely. All manner of rotten debris (chewed peanuts as an example) is collecting in those.
No kidding. If half-living gunk in a horn could kill you, brass players would be dropping like flies.

Better than a mummified mouse stuck in the last upper curve before the neck.
That, unfortunately, sounds like the voice of experience.

·
8,588 Posts
Better than a mummified mouse stuck in the last upper curve before the neck.
Hodge swab can help with that too.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It was an old Buescher school horn that was lent to me to take home instead of the Yamaha 52 which I played on in the band.
I couldn't get much air through it so I told the jazz band instructor.
He sent it out to their tech.
The tech soaked it out, cleaned it up and sent it back.
I just couldn't bring myself to to try it after I found out about the dried rodent.

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
It was an old Buescher school horn that was lent to me to take home instead of the Yamaha 52 which I played on in the band.
I just couldn't bring myself to to try it after I found out about the dried rodent.
That was a mistake. Dried rodent is both a delicacy and an aphrodisiac in some parts of the world. Playing that bari would have gotten all the chicks horny for YOU. But you didn't and the tenor player got them all instead as usual.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,226 Posts
Poor lil' guy....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You mean I should have gone to the tech and asked for the rehydrated mouse, then take it home re-dry it and offer it to a girl?

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
You mean I should have gone to the tech and asked for the rehydrated mouse, then take it home re-dry it and offer it to a girl?
Either that or have dumped that bari and switched to tenor and become cool. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts