Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the characteristics that one should be looking for in determining if a horn is a Beauginer? If there is another thread that explains this, please point me in that direction, I briefly looked for one buy couldn't find it.

Also, other than Vito and LeBlanc, who are some companies that sold Beauginers? Was there ever a horn made that had Beauginer engraved on it?

I'm starting to get into these horns and trying to learn as much as I can, so any help, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
They probably dont sound like that have been played much. Hahaha just kidding. I have no idea, but couldn't resist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,897 Posts
Was there ever a horn made that had Beauginer engraved on it?
No. There were horns that had Beaugnier on it. (sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:)

Anyway yes, Beaugnier made horns under their own name. There are some pictures on saxpics.com. Lots of other info in the threads here at SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
My avatar is an earlier Vito/Beaugnier tenor #329A...

·
1,526 Posts
Beautiful pair of Beaugnier horns sax-ony!

·
1,526 Posts
They did stencil horns for Gretsch...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Yes, that certainly looks like a Beaugnier to me. It's sure to need a repad, and I don't like the look of the damage to the neck. I'd wait for a better opportunity.

·
1,526 Posts
That Getzen has the same bell to body brace as a Gretsch/Beaugnier featured on Saxpics... Different brace than the Vitos, Noblets & other later stencils that have the so-called 'bent nail' brace rod...

·
Registered
226 Posts
The sax I posted above is stamped "Made in France" and is serial number 8787. As I am a sax ignoramus, how can you tell the neck is damaged? I'm a clarinet player, you know.

·
1,526 Posts
The horn does have obvious denting on both sides visible in the pics... That can be a sign of 'pulled down and then back up'! So either dented or bent down, the neck needs some work to sound properly. A replacement neck 'is' possible to find $150-250? maybe less depending...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts