Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this post should be on "General Discussion" or "Pratice Goals", but the idea of this post is to recommend some of your ideas that you do when you cannot play and you want to keep studying!

Bob, can you make a comment on this one?

Well, my idea of learning without the horn (sax), is to be as natural as you can!

1 - Listen to Music (This is one of the problems that the majority of musicians have)
2 - Sing (Pratice singing, an solo or even listen to a backing track and try to sing some ideas that you have in your head)
3 - Read (Read posts, read quotes of famous musicians, read interviews of your favorite sax/music player)

I hope that this help!
Please share your ideas 馃榾CoolSmileSmileSmile

Registered
You can learn to work on such things as scales and arpeggios using visualization techniques. Also, all the tunes I play from memory, I can play with no sax in my hands. I just picture the sound and fingering in my head. This is how I learned them in the first place. It's is dangerous to rely on strictly muscle memory. You should also have conscious memory as well. I have a couple of videos on visualization that I made when I first started learning the saxophone. When I practice scales or arpeggios, I always visualize them first. Anyone can learn this. Below are the videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJF3YczCE4

Registered
Saxoclese is spot on. Learning to visualize is tough at first, but once you've got it, it becomes easy. It's just a skill.

Registered
Without the horn I focus on the finger muscle memory free of thinking about the reed strength, mouthpiece and breath that allows me to zero in on hand speed. That's what fast players like Trane did. Sometimes I wake up and think about runs, licks and phrases I want to play when I get to the horn.

Registered
Saxoclese is spot on. Learning to visualize is tough at first, but once you've got it, it becomes easy. It's just a skill.
This is very individual; and undoubtedly due to the age at which we learn to visualize. I began to try it for the first time with tremendous efforts at the age of 64+, and made sure that my brain allows me to learn 4 bars of piano text, and that's all. Serious scientific research on the relationship between the ability of visualization and age, I have not seen.

Registered
Jazzman, I first learned to visualize music at age 20 when I played classical guitar. It allowed me to memorize three hours of material for restaurant gigs. BTW, I don't have a good memory for music.

Registered
A famous Chinese concert pianist was jailed 10 years for political reasons.
He closed his eyes and visualized the music in front of him.
He pulled off his mattress and played on the metal bed frame.
After awhile he realized that most of his repertoire was actually memorized and available.
Three months after his release he was concertizing again.

Registered
A famous Chinese concert pianist was jailed 10 years for political reasons.
He closed his eyes and visualized the music in front of him.
He pulled off his mattress and played on the metal bed frame.
After awhile he realized that most of his repertoire was actually memorized and available.
Three months after his release he was concertizing again.
A similar story happened to the Soviet pianist Rudolf Kehrer - for 13 years. Sanctions of dictatorship against artists are similar in different countries.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
You can learn a ton from I real pro an ap on your computer or phone. It has the changes to many many songs and you can hear them in any key , many styles and any tempo. So you could spend a half hour pretending to play bass notes of chords or chord tones or pattern to say blue bossa in Concert C minor .Then move it up to Csharp minor and do it again. or sing the bass notes of the song as it goes by. Really good training. K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts