Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have purchased a Balanced action tenor (33.xxx). The instruments plays very well but the body has been bent. It is really significant. It shows even by just looking at the instrument from the side, let alone when you look from above.
Ik looks like some repair was done to remove dents from the body through the tone holes. This probably caused the back of the body to stretch. The body bents over now to the bell from just above where the ring is attached to the bell.
A balanced action does not have a removable bow so it looks that there is no way to get access to the inside of the body and put the body over a mandril?

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Hi guys,

I have purchased a Balanced action tenor (33.xxx). The instruments plays very well but the body has been bent. It is really significant. It shows even by just looking at the instrument from the side, let alone when you look from above.
Ik looks like some repair was done to remove dents from the body through the tone holes. This probably caused the back of the body to stretch. The body bents over now to the bell from just above where the ring is attached to the bell.
A balanced action does not have a removable bow so it looks that there is no way to get access to the inside of the body and put the body over a mandril?

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Any suggestions are welcome.
There is a method for straighteneing sax body tubes and it involes keeping all the keywork on the sax, placing a tool in the neck reciever and then applying force on the tool in the opposite direction to the bend - this is achieved by holding the sax firmly and "foir the want of a better description" swinging the sax body in an arc movement towards a work bench so that the tool hits the bench, - not for the faint hearted, it takes practice and dont let your customer watch!

ferrees sell the tool for this - it is important that the tool fits snugly into the neck reciever.

having said all that if your sax is playing sweetly - can you live with it? if so leave well alone. Also one thing to bear in mind is if the sax is playing and you do bend the tube back you can leave yourself with some of the associated keywork being loose.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
I've seen this done twice in front of my eyes and it is quite amazing! Only an expert can attempt any of these things.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Seen it done many times. It's no bigger deal than anything else that gets bent as part of a repair/service. It just looks drastic. As mentioned, you might end up having to fiddle with the key work afterward etc. Main thing would be to ensure that there's no other damage to tone holes etc from the sax being bent. The saxes I've seen that had major body bends (as opposed to the Bari morphing into a banana), also had tone holes that were distorted near the bend and bent rods etc.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
If you have no experience in repairing saxophones my advice is to take it to a competent repair tech. This is a big deal and is not something an amateur should attempt without all the right tools and equipment and know how---especially on a valuable vintage Selmer such as the one you have.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
....The instruments plays very well but the body has been bent....
Is it necessary to straighten it then?
My SBA also has a slight bend, I'd like to know from the techs if it's OK to leave it as is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
A bent body is probably one of the easier dent repairs to do on a sax, however a little bit of experience is necessary, you only remove the bell IMO to insert a body mandrel, and in most cases this is unnnecassary.

As mentioned above ferees have a neck adaptor, that allows you to drop the sax and flex the body the opposite way, I have one and can take a photo if you wish, however I dont like it, its too uncontrolled, I find it far better to simply apply my body weight into the bend and lean the damage out, you can get it pretty straight doing it this way.

The work comes afterwards re-aligning rods posts minimising end play

And yes if its playing fine then you dont need to straighten it, unless you start obsessing on the issue...

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Is it necessary to straighten it then?
My SBA also has a slight bend, I'd like to know from the techs if it's OK to leave it as is.
I believe most professional techs would advise if the keys are friction free, and the pads are seating well to leave a "slight bend" alone. "If it works, don't fix it" is appropriate advice for this type of situation. Moving the body even slightly can open up a can of worms, so if it is not necessary, why do it?

As for straightening a more severe bend in the body (called bananna bends)---straightening the bent body is not the problem. The problem is what comes afterward. When a severely bent body is straightened posts often need to be realigned, bent rods straightened, hinge tubes straightened and swedged, pads reseated or replaced, etc. These are not things an amateur with no repair experience should attempt to do without the proper tools and training. I believe it is most unwise in these discussions to imply or suggest that correcting a badly bent body is something anyone can do at home.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If I have a bent body I use a straight steel mandrel in a vice . Slide the horn up so it is a tight fit,then lean on If the horn is bent one way just pull it the other way. Be sure to keep all the keys on. Some times I have to unsolder the octave pip. I guess this works the same way as the Ferrees tool . If a horn has been bent one way --bend it back the other way. People play on bent horns all the time as long as it is a slight bend and has not warped the tone holes on made the keys bind.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The instruments plays very well but the body has been bent. It is really significant. It shows even by just looking at the instrument from the side, let alone when you look from above.
Hi Norbert
Can you post a Pic please...I would very much like to see it.
Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts