Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, someone help me figure out how to do a search for RPC mouthpieces. Apparently, just using the initials isn't sufficient. Thanks

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
the baffle piece is a monster.... think Berg on steroids....perfect for R&B but sweet enough sounding on ballads. The roll over is more like a vintage Link ....great all round piece but not as much balls or edge as the baffled piece.

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
Or use the Google serach at the top left (just to the right of the SOTW logo) , it's better than the vBulletin search and copes with 3 letters

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the baffle piece is a monster.... think Berg on steroids....perfect for R&B but sweet enough sounding on ballads. The roll over is more like a vintage Link ....great all round piece but not as much balls or edge as the baffled piece.
Okay, so I need volume and a big sound, but don't like harsh in the upper end. Do the rollovers provide more volume then, let's say, a well finished Link? Can the rollover be used successfully in a band with a loud keyboard, guitar to get a Rock, R&B sound as well as a nice darker jazz tone, or do you feel the baffle models can do both? . Of course, I use a microphone. I was also interested in comments regarding the wider tipped openings vs the .105 opening. Someone said the RPCs work really well with the wider tips- like .115 and above. Inquiring minds want to know!!:) Meanwhile I will search through the many post which mention RPC.

·
2,046 Posts
Honeyboy:

The RPC isn't piercing bright...it's just huge sounding. It's got edge, but it's not Dukoff bright. The rollovers I tried were nice, dark, and spread--I couldn't imagine using one on anything other than a combo jazz hit, but the 120B that I'm using is flexible enough to play screaming R&B and jazz duo stuff. His pieces are incredibly free blowing--it can take some getting used to. Also, because of the sharp beak angle, you have to take a bit more mouthpiece in, but it's worth it. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,786 Posts
Honeyboy, give Ron a call regarding your concern about the upper register. He will make some adjustments to give you what you want. I am not sure what he will charge, if anything, to make the adjustment to his standard m/p.

I found,as with most m/p's, that different reeds will give a little more or a little less brighter tone depending on what you want.

The 125 baffle that I use can be sweet and mellow when needed on a slow song then it can render serious volume and a brighter tone when needed on the same gig with the same reed.

Another reason to call Ron is to talk about the tip opening that you presently use and any issues you might have with that opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I wanted to read what folks here who use them have to say about the differences between the rollover and baffle tenor pieces.
I use a 125 rollover with my 10M and a 125 high baffle (that measures .134") with my Silversonic tenor. Though I prefer the 10M with the rollover for jazz and the Silversonic with the high baffle for rock, I use either horn for either style depending upon where I play. I don't like switching mouthpieces anymore, and have gotten better results (and less headaches) over the last few years matching one mouthpiece for each horn that I own and using it exclusively for that horn.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Okay, so I need volume and a big sound, but don't like harsh in the upper end.

I was also interested in comments regarding the wider tipped openings vs the .105 opening. Someone said the RPCs work really well with the wider tips- like .115 and above. Inquiring minds want to know!!:) Meanwhile I will search through the many post which mention RPC.
The RPCs I have are not harsh in the upper end, unlike almost every other high baffle mpc I've played.

I think I may have made the comment about RPCs and wider tips. What I said (somewhere) is that I suspect Ron does his best work on the larger tips because that's what he prefers and his wide tip mpcs are undeniably among the best out there. But, more objectively, a high baffle mpc works better with a wide tip if you don't want it to be overly bright or harsh. The larger tip helps darken the sound and add body to it.

I wouldn't even consider the high baffle mpc with a tip smaller than 115, and I found the 120B to have a bigger, deeper sound than the 115B. Ron can also adjust the baffle size if you'd prefer a darker or brighter sound at a given tip size.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
I found,as with most m/p's, that different reeds will give a little more or a little less brighter tone depending on what you want..
VERY true! I've been experimenting with reeds over the past year or so (finally settled back on the V16s) and a reed can really make a difference in terms of brightness or 'body' in the sound. For a while I really liked the Rigotti Gold reeds because they respond well, with ease and a lot of volume. But finally I realized they are just too bright (for me) on my 120B. The RJS were a bit too dark. V16 seem to be just right. I'm speaking in general; of course there will be variations among the same box of reeds.

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, everyone for your input. I'm starting to get a more complete picture of his mouthpieces and how they work. Any other input is also welcome.

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or use the Google serach at the top left (just to the right of the SOTW logo) , it's better than the vBulletin search and copes with 3 letters
Thanks for that. It brings up the SOTW archive postings which go back to 2003.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
It brings up the SOTW archive postings which go back to 2003.
Yeah, I just found the post where I originally inquired in regard to RPC mouthpieces from 2/2/03... which might have been my first post after SOTW shifted from it's old platform (as the "join date" doesn't take contributions from the old format into account).

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to go by a different name on the old website but I can't remember what it was. Those were the days when Runyons were king of the hill!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts