Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

Since our videos are russian speaking, we'd just add subtitles, you can find them already in our video about
¨How to practice without the instrument?¨, where I speak about how to do your practice more productive among other things.
So, subtitles are in English, you can pick them up on the settings. Hope would be helpful for some of you guys!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want to learn the trick on sec. 20. Can you optionally also make the player disappear instead of the instrument? Could be handy in some instances....

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is a very common technique used by athletes to improve performance. Typically you will hear it referred to as "visualization" Basically you visualize the outcome you want to have, a perfect tennis serve for example. You practice this over and over in your head visualizing every aspect of a perfect tennis serve. This process begins to train your mind and body so that when you go out to physically practice the skill you've already done it perfectly so many times (in your mind) that your practice already ahead of where you would be just starting out to practice the skill cold. You'll find this technique used at the highest levels of every sport. A motorcycle or automobile racer will walk the race course talking themselves through all the actions they need to take and where they need to take them. Then they'll sit in the pits visualizing the perfect lap around the course over and over.

If you haven't tried visualization I recommend that you do. It can improve virtually every activity you want to attempt, or improve. I've used it successfully in a number of activities and have begun applying it to my saxophone practice as well. This is a big component of long tone practice. By focusing and listening intently as you practice rather than just playing long tones cause someone told you that you should you pick up on what needs to improve to produce a better tone. Then later on, when you're not physically practicing, you can mentally practice by visualizing the tone you'd like to produce and the things you need to do differently from what you're currently doing in order to improve. I'm still at the raw beginner end of the spectrum so there is enormous room for improvement, but using visualization I'm making noticeable improvements in my tone weekly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts