Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in a school band playing sax and keyboard and Ive run into a little problem that is getting the better of me. we're doing careless whispers and I need some way of playing the strings while im playing the sax. I cant use the keyboard as ive got both hands on the sax, which leaves me with just my feet to spare. Anyone got any ideas how I could do both at once? Another keyboardist isn't an option so I need an out of the box solution.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Have you got a saxophone stop on your keyboard ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,480 Posts
wouldn’t it be possible to use a loop on a pedal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,323 Posts
If you're just talking about playing the sax line (on alto) starting on high C#, you can play all of it with just your left hand then use your right hand on keys. You just need to lip down a G to get the 2 F#s and use palm keys for middle D and E. Takes some practice but it can be done! It's fun to practice scales with just one hand, haha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts
If you're just talking about playing the sax line (on alto) starting on high C#, you can play all of it with just your left hand then use your right hand on keys. You just need to lip down a G to get the 2 F#s and use palm keys for middle D and E. Takes some practice but it can be done! It's fun to practice scales with just one hand, haha.
How can you get an E with just one hand?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,323 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
How ‘bout picking a different tune?

Please. :twisted: :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
His tone could use a little work, but this kid does a pretty darn good job. Notice how he uses sustain on the piano to sneak in some 2 handed sax runs.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I haven't chimed in here in a long time. How about pre-recording the keyboard part and playing it back while playing the sax? Don't electronic keyboards have a feature where you can record a piece and play it back? I know my basic Yamaha keyboard does.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,480 Posts
yes, it is a bit like a loop and a pedal, these days you can record also long phrases

1 - 16 of 16 Posts