Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Back with a brand new Smooth Jazz Video. I know I've said that soprano sax is the only instrument for Smooth Jazz, but I think it might be possible to play Smooth on other instruments. In this video I show you EXACTLY how to play Smooth Jazz VIOLIN! I'll be doing videos showing how to play Smooth Jazz on many different instruments, so stay tuned for all of them. As always, let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Uh, Dave... were you trying to show us how to play Le Jazz Hot on violin?

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I guessed a little way into the video that the violin was going to suffer some sort of serious indignity before the end. Maybe used to hold up a turntable playing a smooth jazz LP!

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about seeing a musical instrument get trashed, even humorously. I enjoy a good viola joke, but physical destruction is not my cup of tea.

·
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you found the way to set your self aside from other players. Funny K
Hahah, thanks!

I’m crying! You are too friggin’ funny!
I'm trying man!

I guessed a little way into the video that the violin was going to suffer some sort of serious indignity before the end. Maybe used to hold up a turntable playing a smooth jazz LP!

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about seeing a musical instrument get trashed, even humorously. I enjoy a good viola joke, but physical destruction is not my cup of tea.
Would it make you feel better if said instrument was found in the trash, broken already and not even close to worth trying to repair?

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,000 Posts
Very funny video Dave. I cringed a bit too when that violin hit the fire. Heck, they’re great instruments and I’m an enthusiast. I even use Cremona in my coffee.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Would it make you feel better if said instrument was found in the trash, broken already and not even close to worth trying to repair?
I assumed that you must have used an instrument of very little worth, even as a student violin. For me, it was more the message than any monetary value at stake. I asked myself what I would think of a comedy video in which a violinist says, "Traditionalists insist that the saxophone has no place in the symphony orchestra, but today I'm going to prove that the saxophone DOES belong." She then flattens a tenor sax with an industrial press and uses the pieces of metal to make a stand for her violin music. "Behold the perfect orchestral job for the saxophone!" Sure, I might say, "Ha ha -- funny video at our expense," but I'd also probably ask why she chose to utilize a sax in that kind of display.

·
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assumed that you must have used an instrument of very little worth, even as a student violin. For me, it was more the message than any monetary value at stake. I asked myself what I would think of a comedy video in which a violinist says, "Traditionalists insist that the saxophone has no place in the symphony orchestra, but today I'm going to prove that the saxophone DOES belong." She then flattens a tenor sax with an industrial press and uses the pieces of metal to make a stand for her violin music. "Behold the perfect orchestral job for the saxophone!" Sure, I might say, "Ha ha -- funny video at our expense," but I'd also probably ask why she chose to utilize a sax in that kind of display.
If I saw a video of a violinist flattening a tenor I would think it's HILARIOUS!! You did see the clip of me throwing the tenor right? That was from my episode 1 of "How to Play Smooth Jazz Saxophone" and I literally HURLED the thing across the room into some chairs and stands.

Also on the topic of flattening an instrument, stay tuned for one of my future videos!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Great thread.

Dave, I’m really warming to your humour. You are a bright spark in a sea of ordinary. Sometimes I think what the blazes is he up to now. But then I get it, and realise that once again you are burning. It’s great to see someone so fired up about music. You seem to have a flame inside you, which is great. Just be careful you don’t burn out, get toasted and eventually fired.

Must go now. Ive got a hot date.

Ps sorry.............

·
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great thread.

Dave, I’m really warming to your humour. You are a bright spark in a sea of ordinary. Sometimes I think what the blazes is he up to now. But then I get it, and realise that once again you are burning. It’s great to see someone so fired up about music. You seem to have a flame inside you, which is great. Just be careful you don’t burn out, get toasted and eventually fired.

Must go now. Ive got a hot date.

Ps sorry.............
That comment was FIRE!! Man I got heated just reading it, on my kindle of course.

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,587 Posts
Ha! Not what I expected at all.

This video reminded of Eddie Harris' stand up comedy album cover.

Eddie+Harris+-+Reason+Why+I'm+Talking+S--t.jpg

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,094 Posts
I thought of this video yesterday. I saw my neurologist and he said to take it easy for a month with my physical activity and playing the sax. I replied that I had to play the sax and that really wasn't an option. He replied with a grin "Maybe take up the violin".........I felt like punching him in the face..........

·
Registered
928 Posts
Haha.. dude I always love your videos.

Looks like the new version 12 days of xmas is coming eh? maybe techno style and more fx? Or JUNK (jazz and funk)? :)

·
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey, Im trying to be easy on you and just asking 12 :) , but oh well, you can do 25. The more the merrier!
I'm going to do it the same way I did last year- 1 per day from the 1st through Christmas Day, always uploaded at the same time each day. Will be featuring different people this year- should be a blast! I'll start a new thread a few days before 12/1 so keep on the look out for that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts