Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What made my music life possible, in all the styles and flavors I sampled over many years...was the "feel." People noticed it enough to want me around, then they had to deal with me the little demon guy...and now I'm solo, living on the government dime...in a little california "studio" with a bed and good plumbing...all my music toys...a computer...and my voice...alone.

today I picked up this little alto thing...a new 251 Eastman student model...that I found in a SLO CA USA music store...the guy in his house let me have it for $105...so today I listened to Miles on this wonderful technology we have-youtube, computers, anything ya wanna hear..if you got a roof and internet, you can get "IT" from the "source..." yeah, I have a little theory training, a rather "late in life" BM-Composition/Voice, jazz improv private study, jazz workshops...stuff like that, but like someone posted who quote Bird..."you study, you learn, then you just let it all go...and play...today I did...I just stood in my room and wailed along with Miles and Co. for a couple of hours...bitches brew and some 1969 recording I don't remember what the title was...non stop playing on an instrument I really don't have a lot of experience...but I did play clarinet a long time and bounced around all kinds of music "styles"...so I can call upon lots of stuff when I play...and now alone, I don't have to get caught up in the ego crap and the bullxxxx that I pulled over the years and saw others do...I'm 58 and disabled...sober...ya know...

So yeah wherever you go, the best schools, training, whether you're pro player, teacher, whatever...fro me, what makes "IT" is being as they say in the hip-hop world, "make it real..." or something like that. I'm an old white guy, but whatever music one classifies...for me, if it's good, it's real...and just dig it for the moment, because, unfortunately, like life, those magic moments don't last forever...and open your minds to all the possibilities as you get past the scales and rudiments and those darn rhythm exercises...I never did pass theory III of a 5-semester series (I almost died)...but I got the degree anyway...after 17 years, at 58...I know it's about the love, the feel, and just...but yeah, people have to pay bills and stuff like that, families and try to make a life out of this mad mad mad world...I'm just an old drifter who heard this magic of music filter through the walls of my tortured mind...and now I can just sit here alone and fly to the spontaneous magic moments of music, no matter who are what it is, as long as it FEELS good...for you, for your bandmates and whoever is listening....right now it's just me, God, and this technology that allows me to hear Kind of Blue...

Peace.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The most difficult part of playing is forgetting what you know and just play.
The masters who practiced and studied for countless hours knew that and talked about it.
I have a few Micheal Brecker records but none capture the way he played live, especially earlier in his career.
I guess it’s what younger people call “organic”. All the knowledge and fluidity from practice and then let it fly.
Unfortunately these masters made us realize you really have to be a virtuoso to play jazz at a high level.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
What made my music life possible, in all the styles and flavors I sampled over many years...was the "feel." People noticed it enough to want me around, then they had to deal with me the little demon guy...and now I'm solo, living on the government dime...in a little california "studio" with a bed and good plumbing...all my music toys...a computer...and my voice...alone.

today I picked up this little alto thing...a new 251 Eastman student model...that I found in a SLO CA USA music store...the guy in his house let me have it for $105...so today I listened to Miles on this wonderful technology we have-youtube, computers, anything ya wanna hear..if you got a roof and internet, you can get "IT" from the "source..." yeah, I have a little theory training, a rather "late in life" BM-Composition/Voice, jazz improv private study, jazz workshops...stuff like that, but like someone posted who quote Bird..."you study, you learn, then you just let it all go...and play...today I did...I just stood in my room and wailed along with Miles and Co. for a couple of hours...bitches brew and some 1969 recording I don't remember what the title was...non stop playing on an instrument I really don't have a lot of experience...but I did play clarinet a long time and bounced around all kinds of music "styles"...so I can call upon lots of stuff when I play...and now alone, I don't have to get caught up in the ego crap and the bullxxxx that I pulled over the years and saw others do...I'm 58 and disabled...sober...ya know...

So yeah wherever you go, the best schools, training, whether you're pro player, teacher, whatever...fro me, what makes "IT" is being as they say in the hip-hop world, "make it real..." or something like that. I'm an old white guy, but whatever music one classifies...for me, if it's good, it's real...and just dig it for the moment, because, unfortunately, like life, those magic moments don't last forever...and open your minds to all the possibilities as you get past the scales and rudiments and those darn rhythm exercises...I never did pass theory III of a 5-semester series (I almost died)...but I got the degree anyway...after 17 years, at 58...I know it's about the love, the feel, and just...but yeah, people have to pay bills and stuff like that, families and try to make a life out of this mad mad mad world...I'm just an old drifter who heard this magic of music filter through the walls of my tortured mind...and now I can just sit here alone and fly to the spontaneous magic moments of music, no matter who are what it is, as long as it FEELS good...for you, for your bandmates and whoever is listening....right now it's just me, God, and this technology that allows me to hear Kind of Blue...

Peace.
I just began listening to an audio book by bassist Victor Wooten. It correlates to what you're saying. Thanks for posting this.
Here's a 37 page snippet if you're interested,

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Music_Lesson/Bu2b5g8B8xkC?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Real is good. Let your theory training inform your reality, but be real. And 58 ain't old, brother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real is good. Let your theory training inform your reality, but be real. And 58 ain't old, brother.
Well, thank you all for these groovy replies. Especially the Wooten link...I play a little bass too and know who Tony Levin is, only because he played with Gilmour in the 80s...and Carlos Castaneda...yep, from my "Dead days..."

If anyone wants a laugh...I made my "maiden voyage" into the world of youtube solo sax recording...after my "jam" with "Miles's ghost..."

"poormansax1" on youtube..

I'll keep practicing...if I get the "notion..."

Thanks,
Barney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts