Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i´m invited to play at the vernissage of an large exhibition with greek antiques (the death of pan).

i have a few transcriptions of ancient greek music for the aulos, 5/8 will be a difficult thing for me...

then i´ll play an improvisation in g-minor (or a-blues).


anybody tried such ancient things? (or any suggestions)

thanks
Ruediger Kramer


:?
 

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
Joined
·
8,322 Posts
Ruediger Kramer said:
i´m invited to play at the vernissage of an large exhibition with greek antiques (the death of pan).
i have a few transcriptions of ancient greek music for the aulos, 5/8 will be a difficult thing for me...
then i´ll play an improvisation in g-minor (or a-blues).
:?
I could make a few "amusing" suggestions here but since i'm actually rather interested in this i'm going to play it straight:
What scale is the "ancient greek music" using? What is its source? Will there be anything else happening while you are playing? Will you be playing in the same space that the art is displayed? Is there a web link to the exhibition? I have reasons for these questions and if you've got time to reply that would be great. All the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Do lots of bends. I'd be playing aulos music on a soprano, myself. Or two sopranos if you can manage it. Also, keep in mind that there might very well be quarter tones, so be ready to play those on the fly. If there are third tones, play them like quarter. Nobody used to Western music will be able to hear the difference anyway.

As a side note, Adam West's book on Ancient Greek music is a good starting place if you're curious about all this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
RootyTootoot said:
...i'm actually rather interested in this i'm going to play it straight:
What scale is the "ancient greek music" using? What is its source? Will there be anything else happening while you are playing? Will you be playing in the same space that the art is displayed? Is there a web link to the exhibition? I have reasons for these questions and if you've got time to reply that would be great. All the best.
1. the ancient greek music, i´ll play, is in the scale of Bb minor, D major (transciptions). the improvisation, i´ll play, is in the hypolydian-key (like a-blues or g-minor).

2. one of the the sources: http://www.amazon.de/Documents-Ancient-Greek-Music-Transcribed/dp/019815223X/ref=sr_1_1/303-3835132-5745803?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1186438762&sr=8-1

3. same space...

4. i´m only playing...

5. link: http://www.schloss-benrath.de/en/portal_stiftung/neuigkeiten.asp?data_id=147&data_art=EXIB&data_ort=&data_date_von=1.1.1999&suchtext=&seite=1

thanks for your good wishes.


:)
 

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
Joined
·
8,322 Posts
Interesting. Thank you. I understand ( though i could be mixed up here) that music in ancient greece tended to accompany other actions eg dance/drama/procession etc I was wondering if there was any dramatic or visual element in what you will do, aside from the art itself being present? The other aspect that stuck me was the "blues" thing that you mention. I would have thought that the danger would lie in creating an improvisation that is too much like a 20th century blues. This might be too comfortable for the listeners and would put the art (possibly??) in a slightly misleading context. Are these issues you had to consider in you preparations? Please understand i'm asking because I'm interested in your project rather than because I'd like to pick holes in it!! All the best.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brendan Muse said:
Do lots of bends. I'd be playing aulos music on a soprano, myself. Or two sopranos if you can manage it. Also, keep in mind that there might very well be quarter tones, so be ready to play those on the fly. If there are third tones, play them like quarter. Nobody used to Western music will be able to hear the difference anyway.

As a side note, Adam West's book on Ancient Greek music is a good starting place if you're curious about all this.
thank you very much for your good hints...

(i know West´s book)


:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RootyTootoot said:
I would have thought that the danger would lie in creating an improvisation that is too much like a 20th century blues. This might be too comfortable for the listeners and would put the art (possibly??) in a slightly misleading context. Are these issues you had to consider in you preparations? Please understand i'm asking because I'm interested in your project rather than because I'd like to pick holes in it!! All the best.
yes, i understand: everybody says it sounds very ancient (not like blues).


:)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,494 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
782 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Brendan Muse said:
As a side note, Adam West's book on Ancient Greek music is a good starting place if you're curious about all this.

The Guy who played "Batman" wrote a book on ancient greek music:?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Bernards20040 said:
The Guy who played "Batman" wrote a book on ancient greek music:?
He's quite the Renaissance man. ;)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top