Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a metal mouthpiece I use on soprano which is very easy for me to tune. (Bari Gold 7) I know I should really play a more classical mouthpiece in the orchestra I'm in, but it's so hard for me to pull the notes in tune with a smaller tip opening. How does one control pitch for these little creatures? I use a combination of oral cavity and lip/air pressure, but can't get enough leeway.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's surprising to me. I'd expect a smaller tip opening to be *easier* to keep in tune. are you using too light of a reed on the smaller tip opening mouthpiece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,512 Posts
My first thought also is your embroschure is an issue and the reed possibly too flexible. Its also possible that your horn simply doesn't get along with that piece.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, a harder reed does help somewhat. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure my embouchure also needs help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I have a metal mouthpiece I use on soprano which is very easy for me to tune. (Bari Gold 7) I know I should really play a more classical mouthpiece in the orchestra I'm in, but it's so hard for me to pull the notes in tune with a smaller tip opening. How does one control pitch for these little creatures? I use a combination of oral cavity and lip/air pressure, but can't get enough leeway.
Play what you play. Learn to get a more legit tone on your mouthpiece. Hint: its the reed. Soprano is hard enough to play without making it harder on yourself. If you have a detachable neck, use the curved neck to be more mellow - that's what its for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts