Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm back with another episode in my series called "How to NOT SUCK at Teaching Music." In this episode I talk about the concept of "one size fits all" and how we as educators can avoid it.

Let me know what you think!!

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great concepts, But why are you filming this while driving? It's kinda distracting. Maybe a classroom or a stage or bandstand or studio.
Thanks! I have over 100 videos on my channel and almost every single one is on the bandstand, in a studio, or in a classroom. For this series I wanted to change things up and do a drive-and-talk. Sorry it was distracting- check out all my other ones that aren't while I'm driving!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Your points are well taken, but could have been made in a fraction of the time with a well thought out, well organized, scripted presentation. As a teacher, student, and player for over 50 years I don't enjoy sitting through 10 minutes of repetition and saying the same thing several different ways. My suggestion on how not to suck teaching music or anything else is to organize your presentation and present it as clearly and succinctly as possible. Educational videos by Eugene Rousseau and Wynton Marsalis are good examples of "master teaching" to emulate when trying to teach others via video presentations.

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your points are well taken, but could have been made in a fraction of the time with a well thought out, well organized, scripted presentation. As a teacher, student, and player for over 50 years I don't enjoy sitting through 10 minutes of repetition and saying the same thing several different ways. My suggestion on how not to suck teaching music or anything else is to organize your presentation and present it as clearly and succinctly as possible. Educational videos by Eugene Rousseau and Wynton Marsalis are good examples of "master teaching" to emulate when trying to teach others via video presentations.
Gotcha. I just see/hear the same issues with other teachers week after week after week after week after week after week after week after week after w... that I figured I should really drive home the point. I’m not going to sit here and name all of my students’ accomplishments (see: ep. 1) but I feel like I’ve done a decent job with my students and after teaching X,XXX kids I’m starting to really see what works for them as musicians, students, and most importantly people.

Sorry you didn’t like it. Like I said in a post above, I have 115ish videos on my channel. Try and find one you like. If not, well, let me know because I dig some hate too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
My interpretation of this series is that it is mostly or at least partly a rant on Dave's part. Not that he doesn't have some good points though.

I play alto in the middle (seated or standing) and have done it that way since middle school. In high school, a judge at a contest commented that I specifically should be playing with the horn to the side. We were a pretty good band, but even if we were still freshman, there had to have been bigger issues than that.

Edit to add: Dave: I'm glad that there are still teachers out there taking music education in schools seriously. Keep fighting the good fight.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Dave, I have checked you out and know what a superb music educator you are. You have accomplished a lot with your students for your years of experience. If I didn't think you had the potential to be even better I wouldn't bother sending some "constructive criticism" your way. I taught band for 32 years before retiring in 2002. I know firsthand how we educators like to talk and ramble on---especially on topics we care deeply about. It took me a lot of years to realize that the teachers I had the most respect for and learned the most from said the most in the fewest number of words. Toward the end of my career, I tried to emulate that style in my own teaching and writing. I hope you can understand that I am not trying to "tear you down" but to help you become even better by sharing what helped me.

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, I have checked you out and know what a superb music educator you are. You have accomplished a lot with your students for your years of experience. If I didn't think you had the potential to be even better I wouldn't bother sending some "constructive criticism" your way. I taught band for 32 years before retiring in 2002. I know firsthand how we educators like to talk and ramble on---especially on topics we care deeply about. It took me a lot of years to realize that the teachers I had the most respect for and learned the most from said the most in the fewest number of words. Toward the end of my career, I tried to emulate that style in my own teaching and writing. I hope you can understand that I am not trying to "tear you down" but to help you become even better by sharing what helped me.
I hear you and appreciate that. I know you're not trying to tear me down- you'd have to say A LOT worse things to even come close to that...I've had people say lots of "choice" things to me, including private messages here and other places and it don't bother me none ;)

If everyone simply liked all of my videos I would STOP making them completely. I like to stir things up, start discussions, and make people laugh and not take things too seriously (or get them to hate what I'm doing, which is totally fine by me!! To be honest I absolutely love the haters).

#makejazzfunagain

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Regarding the reeds brand/style, could the teacher want that variable taken out of the equation? What if he told all beginners or advanced beginners to use a 2 RICO blue box, for example...unless there is a real problem. He could then be at ease that the students, who do lots of foolish things, that there isn't someone playing at 1 or a 3 that they got on sale or soemthing. I don't see a problem with that.
He/she could say "if you are having a real problem with a #2 RICO, talk to me but otherwise, just use that" I would have no problem with that. The idea is that he/she is managing 20 or more kids and doesn't want to juggle every variable for each one of them.

Students will always tell you the horror of what their teacher is "doing to them". There is a bigger picture to be considered and they may be stretching or modifying the truth. It's not a matter of "play the reed I play"... its a matter of getting the players on a similar middle of the road place, equipment wise, so they can focus on more important things. The teacher can't check in constantly with students about what they are using, he/she would like to just know its

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the reeds brand/style, could the teacher want that variable taken out of the equation? What if he told all beginners or advanced beginners to use a 2 RICO blue box, for example...unless there is a real problem. He could then be at ease that the students, who do lots of foolish things, that there isn't someone playing at 1 or a 3 that they got on sale or soemthing. I don't see a problem with that.
He/she could say "if you are having a real problem with a #2 RICO, talk to me but otherwise, just use that" I would have no problem with that. The idea is that he/she is managing 20 or more kids and doesn't want to juggle every variable for each one of them.

Students will always tell you the horror of what their teacher is "doing to them". There is a bigger picture to be considered and they may be stretching or modifying the truth. It's not a matter of "play the reed I play"... its a matter of getting the players on a similar middle of the road place, equipment wise, so they can focus on more important things. The teacher can't check in constantly with students about what they are using, he/she would like to just know its
I said in the video if you want to guide all beginners to start on a certain setup so they don’t pick something crazy by mistake (like getting a size 4 reed because they think higher number is better) that’s a great idea.

I teach 200+ students per week plus my private students and I know and keep up with their setups, on all instruments. Constant personal connections are incredibly important in teaching and being invested in their musical lives as well as out-of-school lives is crucial in developing rapport with students and their families. One part of this is knowing what equipment they play on and maximizing what they have for them to reach their potential.

And as far as students stretchinng the truth I’m with you, but recently I’ve heard the same thing about a particular teacher from MANY students so it’s hard to ignore.

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I hear you and appreciate that. I know you're not trying to tear me down- you'd have to say A LOT worse things to even come close to that...I've had people say lots of "choice" things to me, including private messages here and other places and it don't bother me none ;)

If everyone simply liked all of my videos I would STOP making them completely. I like to stir things up, start discussions, and make people laugh and not take things too seriously (or get them to hate what I'm doing, which is totally fine by me!! To be honest I absolutely love the haters).

#makejazzfunagain
One last positive (I hope) suggestion. Please take a good hard look at how it might come across to a 3rd party when an individual thinks so highly of himself as a teacher that it qualifies him to put out lots videos telling other teachers how they suck. Think about it. Waving you arms and beating your own chest in countless videos on the internet is not much more than exercising one's own ego saying "I'm better than you" under the guise of helping music education. I don't mean to be so blunt, but your responses up to this point don't show me the message is getting through.

Two other traits I have identified in master teachers over the years are "honesty" and "humility" which are not "mutually exclusive". If you really want to influence other teachers to improve music education as a whole---lead by example. Write thoughtful and articulate articles for your state's music education magazine or journal. Become involved in your state's music education association serving on panels and setting up workshops. Volunteer to mentor and/or give clinics to the students of younger, less experienced band teachers in your area in settings where they can watch you work and learn from your example.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well Dave's answer settles it, I'd say...

But I am not completely understanding saxoclese's comments though: it looks like you thought this video was a teaching moment ?
Even if you didn't go to its logical conclusoin, your whole argumentation was actually proof of the contrary ! And I don't see where Dave pretended otherwise...
Nevertheless, your comments are quite spot on for teaching materials (I have been a maths teacher, and am not completely 'out of that business' as a researcher).

Dave, I may add to the critique about the driving mood. Changing of scenery is an interesting idea, and I am sure that a casual moving one is doable, however I'd recommend you to find another way to do it for 2 reasons:
1) a car is too fast, which means that the background changes are really distracting (plus it shows very easily the cut/redo of sequences),
2) it doesn't give any additional value to the message you try to convey, which is kind of distracting/confusing too...

But that's only my opinion...

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the comments everyone! As always, check out some of my other videos- I put new ones up each week! #makejazzfunagain

·
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Dave's answer settles it, I'd say...

But I am not completely understanding saxoclese's comments though: it looks like you thought this video was a teaching moment ?
Even if you didn't go to its logical conclusoin, your whole argumentation was actually proof of the contrary ! And I don't see where Dave pretended otherwise...
Nevertheless, your comments are quite spot on for teaching materials (I have been a maths teacher, and am not completely 'out of that business' as a researcher).

Dave, I may add to the critique about the driving mood. Changing of scenery is an interesting idea, and I am sure that a casual moving one is doable, however I'd recommend you to find another way to do it for 2 reasons:
1) a car is too fast, which means that the background changes are really distracting (plus it shows very easily the cut/redo of sequences),
2) it doesn't give any additional value to the message you try to convey, which is kind of distracting/confusing too...

But that's only my opinion...
You don’t have to say it’s your opinion! Just say what you like/don’t like. If I can’t handle it, I should find another job!

Also I’m always trying to learn- every day, every gig, every tour, every video is a learning opportunity. I put myself out there for critique so I definitely don’t expect and don’t want everyone to like what I’m doing. The day I’m “satisfied” with anything I do is the day I quit and do something else.

Keep on Keepin’ On!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts