Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You know, I took a stab at a university program, then I studied privately. I gigged steadily from high school through my thirties. My personal opinion is that one must really love music and love making the lights come on for the students in order to teach it well. He need not be a virtuoso himself, but the passion must be there. I quit the university program because most of the teachers just showed up for a pay check and they were cranking out more teachers just like themselves. I wanted to perform. Period. My private teacher was a prominent N.O. musician who was quite passionate about playing and learning and seeing others get ahead. He was as much a psychologist as he was a teacher. He was a real motivator.

He was also former Special Ops in the Navy, something that I didn't know until I read his obit a few years ago.

Dave, You are doing a good thing. There are so many crummy teachers out there in every discipline who could learn something from you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't forget the past proven teaching methods, and also stay current and updated with new teaching methods. Understand what teaching approach is best suited at the time of teaching . The great players of the past are still being studied currently and they didn't have the access to the learning tools that are available today. Mix older known effective methods and ideas with the newer innovative ideas and tools when teaching. Always keep the interest of the students. Good video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMEN!!!!!!

You are the best!
Bro!!

You know, I took a stab at a university program, then I studied privately. I gigged steadily from high school through my thirties. My personal opinion is that one must really love music and love making the lights come on for the students in order to teach it well. He need not be a virtuoso himself, but the passion must be there. I quit the university program because most of the teachers just showed up for a pay check and they were cranking out more teachers just like themselves. I wanted to perform. Period. My private teacher was a prominent N.O. musician who was quite passionate about playing and learning and seeing others get ahead. He was as much a psychologist as he was a teacher. He was a real motivator.

He was also former Special Ops in the Navy, something that I didn't know until I read his obit a few years ago.

Dave, You are doing a good thing. There are so many crummy teachers out there in every discipline who could learn something from you.
Thank you so much for that- that means a lot! I just try my best each and every day with each and every student I have. The part you said about being a psychologist as well as a teacher is 100% true- teaching music is only a part of actually TEACHING.

Don't forget the past proven teaching methods, and also stay current and updated with new teaching methods. Understand what teaching approach is best suited at the time of teaching . The great players of the past are still being studied currently and they didn't have the access to the learning tools that are available today. Mix older known effective methods and ideas with the newer innovative ideas and tools when teaching. Always keep the interest of the students. Good video.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts