Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several vintage Ray Hyman neck straps that I have used since the early 70's and they still work like butter.
Though they appear to be very strong, plastic does not last forever and I was afraid that one day the white plastic hooks would give out when I least expected it!
So I purchased a new version of the Ray Hyman, called the slimline, and it worked like burlap - barely able to slide it up and down!
After studying the mechanism for a few moments, I used my background in design and quickly solved the problem.
It took about ten minutes to get the new strap flowing smoothly just like the vintage design.

If anyone still appreciates the simplicity of these straps and would like have a new one that works smoothly, please IM me and I will email you a brief description and photos of how to fix your own.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,165 Posts
I don’t use these straps but for those who do or those who, in future, hopefully using the search function, will com to this thread it would be a whole lot nicer if you would leave your lasting contribution to the archives of SOTW if you would do that anyway. In this way 10 years from now information will be here available to anyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since there appears to be some interest in this post for fixing new Ray Hyman neck straps, I will attempt to provide the instructions and images here.
Please see the attached images that coincide with the 3-step instructions.

Fix 1 shows how to pull out the strap to access the interior of the mechanism without removing the strap from the mechanism – use clips to hold it in this position. You can pull the strap end out of the mechanism but you will then need to fish it back through when finished filing the mechanism - not always as easy as it would seem.

Fix 2 shows the two edges that need to be slightly beveled at a 45-degree angle with a small file. The 90-degree angle from the factory is too harsh for the rough nylon strap (vintage Ray Hymans were much softer and smoother nylon).

Fix 3 shows the type of file to use – these are hobby files that I keep in my sax bag.

After you have filed the bevels on the two edges, remove the clips and place the strap around your neck or a doorknob, then hold the hook in one hand and run the mechanism up and down for several minutes as fast as you can. The heat generated from the rough nylon strap will smooth the newly beveled edges even further. You can do this step several times – each time will make the strap work even smoother.

I have done about a dozen of these for friends and they all work great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Since there appears to be some interest in this post for fixing new Ray Hyman neck straps, I will attempt to provide the instructions and images here.
Great stuff -- thanks saxitext! I love my old Ray Hymans, and I've recommended them to students -- only to discover that what's they're shipping these days don't work! Looking forward to fixing them using this approach...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have several vintage Ray Hyman neck straps that I have used since the early 70's and they still work like butter.
Though they appear to be very strong, plastic does not last forever and I was afraid that one day the white plastic hooks would give out when I least expected it!
So I purchased a new version of the Ray Hyman, called the slimline, and it worked like burlap - barely able to slide it up and down!
After studying the mechanism for a few moments, I used my background in design and quickly solved the problem.
It took about ten minutes to get the new strap flowing smoothly just like the vintage design.

If anyone still appreciates the simplicity of these straps and would like have a new one that works smoothly, please IM me and I will email you a brief description and photos of how to fix your own.
Hi...yes just lost my original one and new one just arrived...as you say can barely adjust it so be very grateful for your advice Thanks, ****

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
GREAT POST!! Cant wait to try it. Love the old ones - have been hating the new ones, best I've done is using the old smooth nylon on a new created bar that holds it in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts