Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After practicing for a couple hours I usually just pull my pad saver through my horn a few times, and wash my mouthpiece/reed out with warm water and dry it off. I do not leave the pad saver in over night, I usually just put the cap on the top of the neck and then close the case. I don't spend more than 5 minutes doing this process. Is there anything else I could be doing to help my pads last longer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Not really. You pads will last a long time as you are now or even if you didnt swab regularly. I find that the pads last long enough that it isnt the end of the world when some need replaced

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
I do pretty much the same, except I also wipe the G# key pad and opening. I use a small piece of microfiber or a dollar bill. I also prefer to keep my sax out on its stand to insure that it doesn't retain moisture inside. If I've been out at a rehearsal, once I'm home I take the sax out of the case and leave it out on the stand, rinse the mouthpiece, etc. My reeds are always put back into the Selmer reed case immediately after I finish playing.

FWIW, I rarely have a sticking G# key and have never had trouble with ugly stuff growing in the horn or on the reed. I try to brush my teeth before playing, and I drink only water when I'm playing or practicing.
Regards, Ruth

·
Registered
177 Posts
After practice

If I am practicing at home, I dip the used reed in alcohol solution before I dry it and store it away.

For the horn, I swab it and place it in its case. I then prop the case open a few inches to let the air get inside and dry out any remaining mositure.

Ron M

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like to swab my horns and wash my mouthpieces after each time I play. In addition, I like to blot any excess moisture, such drips on the finish, the pads of the palm keys, G# pad, and low C# pad. When it is safe to, I like to leave the case open or leave them on my SaxRax until they dry.

I've had great success treating my pads with Runyon Pad Dope every now and then. On my 1985 Buffet S-2 Alto, I'm still playing on all original factory installed pads and they play great. The all original factory installed pads on my 2006 Shadow Tenor also play great.

Here is a link to one of several threads discussing Runyon Pad Dope.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
ddeg10 said:
After practicing for a couple hours I usually just pull my pad saver through my horn a few times, and wash my mouthpiece/reed out with warm water and dry it off. I do not leave the pad saver in over night, I usually just put the cap on the top of the neck and then close the case. I don't spend more than 5 minutes doing this process. Is there anything else I could be doing to help my pads last longer?
I hope before you do all that that after you take the neck off you upend the sax over the sink and let all the spit that accumulated in the bow pour and drip out of the bell and the bore end. Just like an old-time spitoon in a bar, there can be alot of juice down in the bow depending on how long you played and draining it is the best way to get most of it out. After I do that for a bit, shaking it to speed the exit of the spit, I swab out the bell and inside the top of the bore by hand with an absorbent cloth. I then clean the horn with two different pull throughs a couple of times each, and the the neck with an absorbent neck saver. I never leave the neck saver in the neck but do use a pad saver in the body of the sax to absorb any moisture that might remain on the inside of the horn. I wash the mpc with warm water and soap, rinse the reed and put it all away. The whole operation sometimes takes 10 minutes or more, but I do it religiously because playing an instrument implies maintaining it properly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
...Every time I finish a practice session, I completely disassemble the horn, wipe all the parts with a virgin silk cloth, , wipe the pads with a naphtha-damp cloth and then a quick wipe with a mink-oil damp cloth, rinse the body in alcohol, and reassemble with fresh grease and synthetic oil on every part....sometimes I don't have that much time, so i just pull a good quality swab through the body, neck and mouthpiece, wipe off the mouthpiece and put it away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
...Every time I finish a practice session, I completely disassemble the horn, wipe all the parts with a virgin silk cloth, , wipe the pads with a naphtha-damp cloth and then a quick wipe with a mink-oil damp cloth, rinse the body in alcohol, and reassemble with fresh grease and synthetic oil on every part....sometimes I don't have that much time, so i just pull a good quality swab through the body, neck and mouthpiece, wipe off the mouthpiece and put it away.
Do you suggest simply not playing if we dont have time for the total strip down?:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Nope...that's what I have Plan B for...I only have time for Plan A every year or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts