Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you can recognize a C Melody from an Eb Alto by a picture alone. I don't think anything was stamped on the horn identifying it as a C Melody. Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
For one, the neck will be "curved" like a tenor neck. Also, the positioning of the alternate F# vent is an indication between tenor and C Melody.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That does appear to be true of all the saxes advertised on ebay as C Melody. They all also had a scalloped type neck brace.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Not to muddy the waters (he says as he muddies the waters), but there are a few Cmels that have a straight neck pipe, albeit rare.

·
Registered
451 Posts
From what I've seen, only the Conn C-Melodies have straight necks. An easy way to tell for that is if it is really long and perfectly straight, it's a Conn C-Melody neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The picture that one of our posters has by his name shows "Tram" with a straight-necked C-Mel. Dan Levinson in NYC plays a straight-neck C-Mel.

The length of the bell is always a hint that the horn is a C-Mel and not an alto. DAVE

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
martysax said:
You islanders and your mud!

Shoot, I'd like to see some mud. Extreme fire warning--and 9100 acres burned in brushfires last week. What a drought!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Figure all Cs to have a tenor type neck except Conns from after about 1919. On a Conn or Pan-American, it will have a C above the serial number. The bell on some Cs is smaller. The only sure way is to ask for a measurement of the body WITHOUT the neck. An alto will be about 22", C Melody 24-26" and a Tenor 28+". If buying on ebay, ask before bidding. I just bid on a nice one that appeared to be a C but turned out to be a Tenor. I bid as if it was a C to protect myself. Stange thing though, 3 years ago a C Melody was a wall hanger and worth less than $100 and now some brands sell for more than an alto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts