·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

The following ad just appeared yesterday on a local site:
<<<Link removed>>>

It is a Selmer Mark VI 1965 Tenor

I was dreaming of a 1964, but this one is close enough to my birth year.

The evaluation of the person indicates he's selling cars. The other ads show a lot of different items for sale. So it is not a reputed sax seller.

But how can I verify this is the real thing?
Any tips or advice?
The seller is located 1 hour driving away, so I would go over to see the sax.

Thanks,
Bart

p.s. If I would miss this deal it is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sent the person a message.

But in the meantime, the ad disappeared, together with the profile of the person.

Must have been fraud...

Bart

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Or, somebody got a nice horn for $500.:joker:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
But how can I verify this is the real thing?
Any tips or advice?
The seller is located 1 hour driving away, so I would go over to see the sax.
Bart,

If you are intent on buying a Selmer Mk VI tenor, it is best to do your homework and save up your money BEFORE you consider buying a horn. There have been many threads here about identifying a Mk VI, as well as the other considerations that go into value (and price).

Given that you are new to the vintage Selmer game, I suggest you buy from a reputable dealer rather than gamble on a horn.

G’luck with your quest.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for the comments.

The asking price was 3650€, close to 4000$. So I will not be haunted :)

I know the basics to identify a Mark VI: ring as bell support, blue S in neck, no rolled tone holes, some valves have a distinct look.

In the ad, there was a picture of the serial number and part of the logo. My hope was some of the resident experts to look and comment. Next time, I think it is better to copy/paste the picture in here.

About going to a reputed seller: While I would be able to pay for it, I would never feel at ease taking such an expensive sax to a performance.

To put this in perspective: my player is a 1959 WeltKlang tenor, which I bought for 300€ 3 years ago. Everybody comments on the nice big sound so last year I gave it a full re-pad (some of the pads were still original, non-leather), cost was around 800€. Even my sax repairman comments on the nice sound every time he gets it in his hands.

My dream is a 1964 Selmer mark VI, silver-plated. The year nor the silver will change playability. But hey, it is my dream. My opinion: every person should have a dream

Regards,

Bart

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
About going to a reputed seller: While I would be able to pay for it, I would never feel at ease taking such an expensive sax to a performance.

To put this in perspective: my player is a 1959 WeltKlang tenor...

My dream is a 1964 Selmer mark VI, silver-plated. The year nor the silver will change playability. But hey, it is my dream. My opinion: every person should have a dream...
Since the Weltklang is your main sax that you do take to performances, are you looking for a 1964 Selmer mark VI that is less expensive so that you'd feel comfortable taking it to a performance?

If you're ever going to have one, it makes sense getting a really nice one with no issues or questionability; that's what a reputable dealer is for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got contacted by the seller.
I received a set of 12 pictures. The serial number is 129109 (see photo)

A search with the photos or serial number does not reveal anything suspicious.

However, the sax moved from a local city in Belgium (100km drive) to Bari, Italy (1700km)
This is a typical local scam scenario: an item is locally for sale for a price almost too good to be true, but/because the owner suddenly had to relocate. The distance is far enough to make the hand over impossible so it has to be sent by parcel service. Ofcourse, I will first need to pay...

I saw this scam already once before, beginning of this year, with a motorbike, which moved last moment to Denmark. Here I saw the logic of the remote sale: the seller wanted to avoid exporting the motorbike from Belgium and importing it into Denmark. It is a bit of paperwork which is too much trouble for some people.

A saxophone does not have any paper work or license plate. So why the remote selling?

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to Scam attempt?

Regards,
Bart

View attachment 248018

1 - 8 of 8 Posts