Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Regards from Brazil!

I´d like to know please how to get these effects like this guy on the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pknHI_nnzM

It´s not seems like a jaw vibrato plus some vocal growling only, since the vibration is faster, I´m guessing this vibration came from the throat. Well maybe
I´m wrong, so that´s why I´m asking for your help!

So, to be precise. How to get this honking vibrato at 00:05 and 00:15?

And this kind of tremolo vibrato he does at 01:45 / 01:58?

Really amazes me how fast he can change from a clean to a dirty sound like at 02:41. How to do this too??

At 04:45 the changes a clean vibrato to a dirty vibrato.

At 12:00 a REALLY DIRTY and NASTY HONKING VIBRATO!

Any kind of mouthpiece/reed config is better to produce this effects?

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
It just seems to be a very fast and wide vibrato, much in the style of Sydney Bechet but on tenor which is not very fashionable these days. There is no specific mouthpiece or reed to get that, just practising vibrato if you really want to play vibrato that fast. If so my advice would be to learn also to do vibrato at different rates, especially if you want to fit in with modern sections.

I have a chart of different players' type and rate if vibrato which you might find interesting:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-vibrato.html

From what you said in the post, until I heard the video, I thought were going to ask about an effect often called the Texas or Bb Wobble, which you can hear here:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-wobble.html

This is actually quite easy, though only really works on that one note, but still a by effective effect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Hi guys,

Regards from Brazil!

I´d like to know please how to get these effects like this guy on the following video:

It´s not seems like a jaw vibrato plus some vocal growling only, since the vibration is faster, I´m guessing this vibration came from the throat. Well maybe

Really amazes me how fast he can change from a clean to a dirty sound like at 02:41. How to do this too??

Thanks a lot in advance!
That is a relatively unskilled player who has developed a very wide, fast vibrato. So wide and fast that it could pass for a trill sometimes. I'd say such an effect would be usable sometimes, but that player needs to develop an embouchure as his first priority and to actively pursue playing with less vibrato so as to get control over what he's doing. I just listened to another vid somebody posted of a very young player doing a standard ballad on alto, and the kid had a great alto sound along with the vibrato of a seasoned professional. The two vids make for a great contrast between a rank amateur who most likely will never be a sax player and a very talented young player who might be the next 'Bird'. As Pete stated, there is also a 'lip trill' effect that is good to know. It's used often on old blues/rock records. A good vibrato is a beautiful aspect of playing, but like anything else it must be used only where needed, particularly in a section setting. In solo playing, meaning you're the only horn, you can get away with anything. But if you start over-doing the effects, you'll just stink up the works and expose yourself as a player with nothing really to say, just making sounds.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,122 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCPglgwmzuk

Hi guys,

Regards from Brazil!

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for responses! Sorry my delay to write back!

Pete, thanks for reply I already know your site, pretty cool and helpful!

Thanks 1saxman , I know about the overuse of the vibrato. It´s not a good thing, but my interest is only about the TYPE of the vibrato showed on the video itself. Because I want to play R & B sax / rock/blues sax and I guess this kind of vibrato fits perfectly on these styles.

Brian, I already knew the (very good) Johnny video. Thanks.

Buy if you three listen more carefully the sound produced by the guy playing at subway station is dirtier and even more aggressive at least to me.

So, I guess didn´t figured it out yet.

:(

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Thanks 1saxman , I know about the overuse of the vibrato. It´s not a good thing, but my interest is only about the TYPE of the vibrato showed on the video itself. Because I want to play R & B sax / rock/blues sax and I guess this kind of vibrato fits perfectly on these styles.
I think that is very much a matter of opinion, listen to the greats rock and roll players, here for example , I bet you won't find that kind of vibrato. All too often people think rock and roll is easy so it can attract players who don't bother too much with technique, however the great players also had a great technique which may not be so obvious compared with jazz. players like Lee Allen and Rudi Pompilli for instance could say with one note more than what many jazz players take a 1000 to say.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got your point Pete, but I dont think rock is easy. Talking on the sax field I can say about Sax Gordon, who has GREAT technique and no one can deny it. I ´m just trying to say that I LIKE that fast and wide vibrato from the subway guy ( where I lot of players don´t like it ), didn´t heard a sound like that before and still not sure about how to reproduce that sound ( that distorted vibrato and the fast changes between dirty and clean sound!)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
I'd expect to get kicked out making all that noise in an enclosed place where folks don't have a choice on whether or not to listen to me or not.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Instead of using your lower jaw to vibrato, use your throat. Voice it up and down as hard as you can, by using the back of the tongue and larynx. The texas wobble is super easy to accomplish, but only works on that one note. You can get exactly the same effect on ANY note using voicings.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,636 Posts
Instead of using your lower jaw to vibrato, use your throat. Voice it up and down as hard as you can, by using the back of the tongue and larynx. .
I guess you can use whatever works well for you, but I can't imagine doing vibrato with my throat. An excellent, controlled vibrato (unlike the noise in that video clip!) can be done quite nicely using the jaw.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I wouldn't do a traditional vibrato with my throat, either, that's for sure! Just the wobble effect. You need to push and bend harder than the jaw is able to do alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts