Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is best?.. Selling the collectable mouthpiece in original condition even if it doesn't play well? Or getting it refaced by a reputable refacer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,086 Posts
If it is super closed....as in absurd it will be better off refaced. If it is a decent opening that can be played well with a 3 or a 3.5 reed I would leave it alone.

That is my opinion but not by far the only one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I would let the buyer get it refaced, that way nothing is on you as far as playability etc. I think everyone will vary on this subject.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,977 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,821 Posts
Always keep a mouthpiece in original condition if you intend to sell it. Photograph it carefully up close, describe it accurately and put it on ebay. Someone somewhere is looking for what you have. If it is altered, a rare piece is gone forever. Recovering the cost of refacing is difficult or impossible, and usually the value declines dramatically.

Not everyone is looking for a big facing, and even those who are usually want to choose the one who does the work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, I concur with those who say to leave it alone.

I once had a nice old Florida Link tenor 6*. It played great with a fat dark Stanley Turrentine thing. But I was very cash strapped, so I decided to sell it on eBay. It was stock and I thought I might increase its value by having it refaced to a 7*.

So I had one of the mouthpiece heavies do the work. Good work as expected and now the Link is a 7*. I listed the piece and it ended up selling for about $550, which actually might have been less than if I left it stock. In other words, I gained nothing from the reface aside from experience!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts