Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a 10 year Sabbatical from playing and really practicing the Saxophone. About 10 years ago I majored in Music Education for about a semester. I quickly discovered I lacked the attention to detail and the self motivation to make it as a Music Major and returned home. A little over 2 years later I had joined the Air Force providing Security for them and then later being a weapon instructor for them. For the past 8 years I haven't really done much playing other then an occasionally jamming in my house to an old Hal Leanord Play along CD that I have. Now I'm out of the Military, enrolled to go back to school to finish up my Bachelors degree and I'd like to get back seriously or semi seriously into the sax. I'm not sure practice wise where to start. I know I need to practice Scales and Long tones, any other recommendations?

Thank you
Cabo2018

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,373 Posts
I quickly discovered I lacked the attention to detail and the self motivation to make it as a Music Major ..and then later being a weapon instructor...
Well let’s hope that demonstrates that you’ve developed some focus. :twisted: :bluewink:

Now I'm out of the Military, enrolled to go back to school to finish up my Bachelors degree and I'd like to get back seriously or semi seriously into the sax.
Been there, done that - dropped out of college, went into the military, went back to school... I’m guessing that you’re not a music major. Take it easy on yourself - at least until you settle into your study groove. Make school work this time, because chances are that you won’t try it again later.

As Pete shared, make it fun for yourself. Make simple goals to learn a tune, then make it musical.

Welcome back to the sax, and g’luck in balancing your school work and Life.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sing thru your instrument and have fun...then get technical. Have as much fun and joy as you can to avoid frustration. Sax will be a challenge and pleasure for years even when we take breaks. Just don't sell it or give it away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts