Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as tone I’m really trying to achieve to get a similar tone to that mid 60s Coltrane/Wayne shorter like tone. Like most would agree, I don’t necessarily want to blame it on equipment but could it be that? I currently use a Jody Jazz HR 7* with La Voz Medium Hard reeds. Do you have any possible mouthpiece recommendations? Or is just my embroushure? I would say my tone is fairly dark in contrast to that of coltane/shorter. it just a matter of continuing to transcribe solos to pick up phrases from them? For instance I know if somebody really dug Stan Getz or Paul Desmond they would aim for that soft airy tone with melodic lines. Or if someone really digs Dexter Gordon’s playing they would aim for those articulated straightforward bebop lines. But i can’t really pinpoint that mid 60s Coltrane/shorter sound. And trust I don’t plan to sound exactly like Coltrane but something similar if you know what i mean. For example there is a video of Leland Whitty of Badbadnotgood and his whole playing style really just screams a love supreme Coltrane era. Any thoughts? What are aspects of their playing that should I practice to help get a similar sound? Thanks!

Here’s the video: https://youtu.be/2KAiszHdGH8

1 - 1 of 1 Posts