Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok. This is the final update. Instead of struggling getting the right sound with enough core frequencies and warmth and presence at the same time out of a Link NY which didn't have enough core frequencies, I ended up finding a Link STM 7* which is old and even has narrower ligature and may be even narrower body, but it gives warm sound including lots of core frequencies and I can easily manipulate the sound from dark to bright. It seals like no other Link I've seen before and although I was using 6 and jumping to 7* was a bit concerning, it seems I got good control right from start. Also the ligature fits like a glove, it has slightly bigger plate that sits well on the reed and I tried other ligatures (Rovner and Francois Louis) and non of them gave the same amount of projection and full frequency range. I ended up taking my YTS-61 and Link NY 6 mouthpiece to the only senior known sax repairman in Calgary, Alberta, Dave Edgar. He found a few more areas in the sax that was not fixed, plus tried the Link NY and found the flaws, and also showed me the old Link 7* which worked great.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Why not try some overtone exercises and do the matching exercises with them?
Or listen to the recordings of your most favourite saxplayer with a warm fat sound and try to copy it.
It ain't always the gear. Many players change the gear very often without getting a change in sound and then are wondering about it and the reason why. Change your imagination about your sound and maybe the rest will follow.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Get a refaced Link.
Get a Link, and just expect to get some work done to make sure its a good one to learn on. Sakshama does a great job on mouthpiece refacing, etc. Links are great for achieving a tone you want on then switching, its what I did then I branched off, now I'm thinking of going back to a link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,024 Posts
@florian: you are right... most of the sound depends by a combination of setup, horn and skill level.
But it's hard to consider a Yamaha 62 as a fat sounding horn... practising helps in every case, but to get a fat sound from a Yamaha 62 you need a mouthpiece which increases the fatness (like Warburton LA, Wanne's... etc etc).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Try a Yani ebonite mouthpiece with a tip opening that you are comfortable playing (I use a 7 on Alto) the Yani's have a large bore and give the sax voice a full and rich quality sound that I personally much prefer and from my experience these mouthpiece work well with Yamaha sax's.

Kenny

21 - 28 of 28 Posts