Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The D buzzes on my sax, no other keys, no other notes...B and Bb are fine, C, C# but the D makes a buzzy sound on my soprano.
There's a bit of the bbuzz bleeding through at Eb but nothing like the D buzz.
Is there a screw I can turn to fix it?
What could it be?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
Take it to a tech. There could be more of an issue than a screw adjustment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,120 Posts
It may be that the low C pad is not opening enough. Try some paper or cork under the C key kicker to force it open a bit and see if it improves.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
The D buzzes on my sax, no other keys, no other notes...B and Bb are fine, C, C# but the D makes a buzzy sound on my soprano.
There's a bit of the bbuzz bleeding through at Eb but nothing like the D buzz.
Is there a screw I can turn to fix it?
What could it be?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Check that the screws holding the key guards on and make sure they are tight. I had a student once that was buzzing like crazy on middle D and I figured out one of the screws holding the Eb key guard was loose and shaking whenever a D was played. Check all of them on the horn though because the buzz could be coming from any of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check that the screws holding the key guards on and make sure they are tight. I had a student once that was buzzing like crazy on middle D and I figured out one of the screws holding the Eb key guard was loose and shaking whenever a D was played. Check all of them on the horn though because the buzz could be coming from any of them.
Guidance much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Good advice from Nefertiti. Also check the screws in the "clothes guard" as well if it has one. Other places I have found that can "buzz" are loose bell key bumper felt adjusting screws (not on soprano), and key rollers. I always remove key rollers, clean them with a pipe cleaner and insert just a dab of grease. There is even a remote possibility that something in the room vibrating at that resonant frequency is producing the "buzz" you hear. Playing in a different room will rule out that possibility. Let us know what you find.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
Good advice from Nefertiti. Also check the screws in the "clothes guard" as well if it has one. Other places I have found that can "buzz" are loose bell key bumper felt adjusting screws (not on soprano), and key rollers. I always remove key rollers, clean them with a pipe cleaner and insert just a dab of grease. There is even a remote possibility that something in the room vibrating at that resonant frequency is producing the "buzz" you hear. Playing in a different room will rule out that possibility. Let us know what you find.
YES!!! I forgot about key rollers! Those are a prime suspect. To check if they are the culprit, play the note and get the buzz and then try to a put a finger on the rollers while you are playing and see if the buzz stops.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES!!! I forgot about key rollers! Those are a prime suspect. To check if they are the culprit, play the note and get the buzz and then try to a put a finger on the rollers while you are playing and see if the buzz stops.
All the key guards were tight. Will pursue key rollers! Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,120 Posts
Then I assume it is curved due to key guards. If it IS a roller, cork grease on the edges may help but not too much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand this, but I tried another mouthpiece and the buzzing on D disappeared. I can't figure out why just that note -- I had tried with a new reed and got the buzz. Then I tried with a new reed and another mp and there is no buzz... Thanks to all for your insights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts