Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Martin Handcraft on which the palm D# posts fell off at some point and was damaged. Short version: The ribbing is not curved in such a way that it sits flush with the body. What do I have to do to get it aligned correctly?

Long version: The ends of the ribbing have a visible gap underneath, sloppily filled by solder... mostly... but the middle of the ribbing seems to be against the body. I'm sure bending the post to get the key out didn't help that issue (see below). The whole thing was quite badly soldered back on without this issue having been addressed.
What would I have to do to get the ribbing to the correct curve? Do I have to take the posts off the ribbing and then redo the silver solder there after I get it right, or is there an easier way?
The thing actually works as is, and I see no cracks in the solder despite my adventure (again see below), so I'm debating whether it is worth removing to fix it, or if I should just leave it.

Useless information: This was the same key on which one end of the hinge screw slot was broken, so someone slotted the threaded end instead of replacing the faulty screw. The swedging was particularly bad, and then that other slot also broke (shocking I know), and for the cherry on top the screw was nicely seized, so I ended up having to drill it out and bending the post back enough to slide the key off, then returning it to position after removing the now useless screw.
I got this horn as a learning experience knowing it needed more extensive work than I've done before, but oy vey! I did not see this coming.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
'works as-is'

Leave it alone. If you take it off and adjust the curve to fit the horn, the posts are going to be spread a significant amount with the key and rod now being to short to span the gap. Do not even think about attacking the brazed joints.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts