Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a metal mouthpiece with a nick on the rail. I wonder if it is possible to fix it with some epoxy resin or anything else. Furthermore I worry about the toxicity of these resins. In fact I found a bicomponent epoxy resin for metals that should work, based on the manufacturer description, but there are many warnings for toxicity of one component. Do you have some experience about that?

thank you for your help

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The same epoxy resins used to replace bite plates should work fine for this. I wouldn't get hung up on one designed solely for use on metals. One of the mouthpiece guys should be able to tell you which epoxy they use.

On the toxicity issue, this my area of expertise at my day job. Many epoxies are only toxic in the uncured form. Once the epoxy is fully polymerized (hardened) , cured, and once any carrier solvents have evaporated, the material often become inert like most other plastics. So there is very little toxicity left. Again, which ever epoxy the mouthpiece refacing guys use for bite plates should be fine.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I used slow setting Araldite (with a smidgeon of black pigment powder) for a large chip on the tip of a mouthpiece for a friend, decades ago. It lasted for at least 20 years. No reported problems. As mentioned, if mixed in the correct proportions, once cured, it is pretty much inert.

The plasticiser in plastic bags you keep or microwave food in could be more risky.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Sorry, I did not notice that this was metal mouthpiece.

If the surface is raised around the nick, where the reed seals on the rail, then use a very fine file or sandpaper (over a flat, hard surface) to bring the raised part down to level.
Otherwise, no problem, as long as the reed seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts