Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from earthquake torn NZ..... Tough times!

I recently started playing with a drummer intending to get some Jazz standards good enough to play in public.
I've decided to learn tunes by ear, using transcribe, not writing anything down, have picked several Hal Leonard playalong like Corcovado and Nearness of You, so for these I have the key and chords, however I'm intending to learn Flamenco Sketches from the Kind of Blue albumn. I know this is a modal tune but have no idea how to find the key or chords. I'd also like to play this tune either on Alto or Soprano...
So how do I go about it?
Suggestons and help please!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
You've done the toughest part, that is -- starting. Next steps?

Imitate, Assimilate, Innovate

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Double post.... Sorry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out that this modal tune "Flamenco Sketches" has no keysignature and each improvisor choose five scales/ chords to blow over. Even the number of bars per chord. There is a long post on one of the forums discussing chords used, so learning & playing this piece will be quite a learning curve.....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,225 Posts
Found out that this modal tune "Flamenco Sketches" has no keysignature and each improvisor choose five scales/ chords to blow over. Even the number of bars per chord. There is a long post on one of the forums discussing chords used, so learning & playing this piece will be quite a learning curve.....
That is an unusual tune structure and I don't remember exactly what the structure is. But most tunes do have a tonal center (key) that is pretty easy to find. However they can modulate (change key) and you have to identify where that happens. Don't get hung up on a key signature. Those are used for writing and reading music. You do need to find the tonic, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
When you play by ear, the key of a melody is easy to find. It is the tone where it feels right to end the melody. Even the indivdual parts of Flamenco Sketches will have such a tonal center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts