Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm in the market for a sax (or several), preferably vintage. However, I'd like to playtest anything before I buy it, so eBay isn't very desirable to me.

So, my question is, how do I find saxophones locally? I live in a relatively small city in southwestern Ontario (about 60,000, but 100,000 if you count the surrounding communities), and I know there have to be some saxes sitting around somewhere that the owners would be willing to part with. But how do I find them? I've considered placing a "Wanting to buy saxophones"-type ad in the paper, but are there any alternatives/additional measures I can take? Any other resources I can turn to? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help...I'm eagerly awaiting the replies :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
craigslist -- Detroit if it's closest. There's a Toronto craigslist, and Ann Arbor, Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo. They're big enough urban centers that there's a good chance you can find something of value and quality, but you may have to be willing to drive a few hundred miles to find the horn you seek. It's a quest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
And do go there...there are plenty of Craigslist scams but if your playing the horn and holding it its a fair to assume it exists and that a sum of money will permit you to walk away with it in hand.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A friend of mine found a 6m in an antique shop for 50$. Pawn shops are sometimes good, too. Flea markets are a crap shoot but worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts