Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about backing tracks. I have been playing for 7 weeks, and for the last week I have been learning Summertime. Initially just concentrating in getting the fingering right , now I have added a metronome to improve my timing. My next step is to find a backing track. This leads to my questions...

I am playing it in A Major (I can just about find C#, F#, and G#). I started looking on Youtube for "Summertime backing tracks in A major", but they all seem to be in A minor or D minor.
1) Am I looking in the wrong place? (I'm quite a visual person so having a video along with the track helps me).
2) Or am I looking for the wrong thing?

This is where I am at the moment... https://youtu.be/DddzcNSSIrE?t=1m50s

Thanks, Chris :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you've got a smartphone or tablet, I find a great source of backing tracks is the ireal pro app - it's got loads of jazz standards already loaded in, and you can just select the key, the length, accompaniment style (jazz, swing, bebop, funk) etc.

You can also export the backing tracks as wav files, then load them into something like audacity if you wanted to record yourself. You have to pay for it, but from memory it's less than a tenner - money well spent.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Chris that tune is usually in a minor key. It will be difficult for you to find a backing track in major

I only listened to the first few notes of your clip.

You are playing it in A minor concert.
That makes it f sharp minor for you , on alto.

So, find a version on you tube that states that it is in A minor and play what you know. It will work.

Good luck

·
Administrator
17,281 Posts
Welcome to SOTW Chris. :)

Summertime is in a minor key, so you normally won't find it in a major key. Best is to learn to play a song as written, so don't adapt a song to your present abilities, but work hard to play it as intended by the composer.

YouTube is normally a great source of backing tracks. Besides that, we have two TOTM (Tune Of The Month) threads in here on SOTW in which we pick each month another song to work on. In those threads backing tracks and scores for Bb and Eb instruments are also often shared. See also my reply in your other thread.

I'm at work currently, couldn't listen to your clip.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Chris, I posted this in your Summertime thread, should have been here...

Although youtube and google are great for finding examples and stuff... there's often value in getting some commercial material. There's piles of great etudes and studies; the pro's will have arranged the tune for the target audience (beginner, intermediate, advanced), will probably have a demo as well as a backing which match the arrangement, in the right transposition for the instrument. Of course, the better you get, the easier it is to play a la cart...
eg with Summertime

http://jazzbooks.com/jazz/product/MVAS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris that tune is usually in a minor key. It will be difficult for you to find a backing track in major

I only listened to the first few notes of your clip.

You are playing it in A minor concert.
That makes it f sharp minor for you , on alto.

So, find a version on you tube that states that it is in A minor and play what you know. It will work.

Good luck
Thanks KMR - I think I need to look at the keys I play in, and how that works for a transposing instrument. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks KMR - I think I need to look at the keys I play in, and how that works for a transposing instrument. :)
yes, some knowledge of theory is good and cant do any harm. but just have fun and keeping the sax in your mouth helps more !!!!!

So, assuming you are reading the notes, just go ahead and play the song along with a backing track. dont worry about the theory.

As soon as you can, start playing tunes without written music. start simple. nursery rhymes are good. anything that you can sing inside your head. find the notes ... play them. doesnt have to be all the song. just litttle snippets is good. try to do this regularly.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I use Band in a Box (BIAB) because it's digital and I can change background styles, tempos and keys in a moment.
Also, it has a huge tune inventory if you search the web for BIAB tune collections.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I use Band in a Box (BIAB) because it's digital and I can change background styles, tempos and keys in a moment.
Also, it has a huge tune inventory if you search the web for BIAB tune collections.
+1 The quality of sound of Real Tracks is amazing.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I have iReal but I also have a backing track from spiffingtunes.com. You can listen to it on YouTube.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Chris,

In the UK there are a number of various music books you can get that have the dots written out and CD backing tracks. Have a look at the Guestspot range these I find very good and have a demo track and backing track which can help in many ways as you can follow the score whilst listening to the demo play with the demo until you get confidence before switching to the backing track only. if you have an iPAD you can get some software called forescore which would give you the notation and backing track the software allows you to slow or speedup the backing without changing pitch as well which is usefull for learning faster numbers.
Good luck with your journey.

Kenny

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 The quality of sound of Real Tracks is amazing.
Recently started with BIAB. which real tracks packs do you recommend on top of those you get with the basic app?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts