Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's a unique question: Has anyone here figured out a way to fight off a sneeze? We've all had the moment... you're ON... you feel the sneeze-demon sneaking it's way up... your trying to fight it off or at least time it! Yet it just builds to the inevitable volcanic eruption.

I mean, how do the Navy Seals do it? I realize our situation is not anywhere as dire... we're not going to get shot , however there are CRUCIAL phrases in tunes that we MUST hit!!!

How about the studio & pit guys? Even if you can't time it, have you developed a "Silent-Sneeze"? You are surrounded by super sensitive mics.

My entire career has been put on pause until I develop a plan.... well not really, but the situation arises frequently enough to merit the question

·
Registered
684 Posts
because,
Bite your tongue the next time you feel a sneeze coming on. You'll instinctively gradually increase your bite pressure until the sneeze abates. I guess the body diverts the attention from one to the other. It really works!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,505 Posts
wear shades.

A conspicuous amount of people sneeze because they go from darkness to light.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,263 Posts
This always works for me. Thumb and forefinger finger squeeze either side of the bridge of your nose.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Why not just relax and enjoy it ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take the side of your index finger and apply firm pressure to your upper lip, just under your nose. Keep up the pressure until the urge to sneeze abates.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,220 Posts
Why not just relax and enjoy it ?
+1. Unless, like a Navy Seal, your life depends on stifling a sneeze, I'd say go ahead and sneeze. Be sure to tuck your face into the inside of your elbow to help prevent spreading germs and also to muffle it a bit. If this is one of the most serious issues in your life, then count yourself lucky.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,088 Posts
When I was waiting tables I learned to stifle sneezes by forcefully clenching my teeth at the critical moment.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I place my index finger on the tip on my nose and press. If I catch it fast enough that always makes the sneeze go away for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Tickle the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue. If that doesn't work, use someone elses tongue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts