Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXlYXSZsSk (from about 0:40 onwards)

So, what was he doing? I know multiphonics, but how? Had he worked out a tonne of multiphonics, or was he just doing something with his airstream (flutter tongue?) to split the notes? Or was he playing (somewhat) randomly in the low register and voicing the altissimo? Does anyone know how to do this? I can play altissimo fine but can't work this out at all.

Thanks if anyone has any insight

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I first heard Pharoah Sanders do that I was quite amazed and was thinking that's the first time I ever heard a tenor play that since Herschel Evans, though Herschel would just do it for a note or a short phrase like a singer doing an emotional gasp or accent, whereas Sanders would go flying off on some huge run. But I'd guess he had used the same technique as Tex, though I'm not sure. Herschel's, or how I think he did it, only works on the upper register. You sound your note, let off the octave key, slide the mouthpiece way up your mouth, bite down hard, and blow hard. It feels like you're straining yourself, so have a care. When I did it, once in a while I'd throw in a hum for an even nastier, more violent, gasp. Happy fits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first heard Pharoah Sanders do that I was quite amazed and was thinking that's the first time I ever heard a tenor play that since Herschel Evans, though Herschel would just do it for a note or a short phrase like a singer doing an emotional gasp or accent, whereas Sanders would go flying off on some huge run. But I'd guess he had used the same technique as Tex, though I'm not sure. Herschel's, or how I think he did it, only works on the upper register. You sound your note, let off the octave key, slide the mouthpiece way up your mouth, bite down hard, and blow hard. It feels like you're straining yourself, so have a care. When I did it, once in a while I'd throw in a hum for an even nastier, more violent, gasp. Happy fits.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts