Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I think to tell one needs to measure the distance from the table at the base of the window "U" to the floor inside the mouthpiece. This can be done with the depth probe on a set of calipers. If the reading is less than .600", it is a more desirable Link reguardless of when it was made. EBs are typically .580-.590. I measured a new vintage recently at .570". It was great after a reface. The regular modern Tone Edge measures .620"-.630" and sounds a bit tubby to many players.

FYI, .031" is 1/32". So we are talking about something that you can not see in pictures.

Yes the baffle shape near the tip is important too. But it does not tell the whole story.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
I think to tell one needs to measure the distance from the table at the base of the window "U" to the floor inside the mouthpiece. This can be done with the depth probe on a set of calipers. If the reading is less than .600", it is a more desirable Link reguardless of when it was made. EBs are typically .580-.590. I measured a new vintage recently at .570". It was great after a reface. The regular modern Tone Edge measures .620"-.630" and sounds a bit tubby to many players.

FYI, .031" is 1/32". So we are talking about something that you can not see in pictures.

Yes the baffle shape near the tip is important too. But it does not tell the whole story.
That's very interesting information Mojo, thanks for sharing. Are these values also valid for metal Otto Links or only for HR?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
BTW, I first learned of looking at this from drakesaxprof. I think there may be a similar effect among the metal Links. But I have not complied the data from a bunch of different models to tell.

There are Link HR mouthpieces that look like desirable vintage Links on the outside that do not have the "goods" on the inside, and vice versa.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,019 Posts
Could someone help me better ID this piece please ?
is it the so called " Late Florida " because of the Florida box or the so called Earlier Babbit ..
or how would you call this one correctly?

the add is here:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...HR-opening-9&p=2009293&viewfull=1#post2009293
First of all... more detailed photos will help... a lot.

As said above, there are "many" Otto Link can be called "Early Babbitt"... the most common are the low beak ones.
Some of most desired are made from a "Slant Signature" blank and they are called "Early Babbitt Florida blank" (Slants were made in Florida factory).

As for every vintage Link, you need to check if the mouthpiece "works"... not all the vintage Links are good players.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can somebody tell what do I have, please? Measures about 0.58” from table to body and shank inner diameter .685”. Not sure about than grinding marks on the table. Early Babbitt or not? Got plenty more photos. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts
Can somebody tell what do I have, please? Measures about 0.58” from table to body and shank inner diameter .685”. Not sure about than grinding marks on the table. Early Babbitt or not? Got plenty more photos. Thanks!
The thread as actually about HR Otto Link pieces, yours is a metal STM.

It's indeed an Early Babbitt and most probably one that is not made from the old Florida blanks, which are the most early Early Babbitt's. I think yours is made in the late 1970's.

See this thread about how to identify metal Otto Links:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...etal-quot-Otto-Link-Identification-quot-chart

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,485 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the valuable Info!
there are SOME different "early Babbitts".
First one mouthpiece finished in two places.
Then the same mouthpiece produced in Elkhart.
No mouthpiece made after 1980 qualifies as early babbitt.
The only mouthpieces that should ever be called early babbitt were sold by babbitt but were exactly the same mouthpieces as the last 6 months production from florida in almost every way.
this is why they are often called "late florida/early babbit".
the basic blank and shape are exactly the same.
there are some slight differences between the late floridas and the early babbitts mainly in regard to finish work.
Some "early babbitt" mouthpieces were florida blanks transported and finished in elkhart. Those may be made with a better rubber formula than the ones that came after..

OK so now we have shown the fact that are not an unknown different versions of these mouthpieces. there are three versions of this mouthpiece. each one almost identicle to the other in every way. one late florida straight signature with a slightly larger florida sized USA stamp and hand faced and the early babbitt with straight signature and a slightly smaller Elkhart USA stamp, machine faced and later made with slighlty cheaper rubber formula..

The main way to identify one is the presence of a very long highly polished horshoe baffle. any 6 year old child could point out the difference it is so pronounced from what came after in the 80s.

I took some pictures of one of these once. about the mouthpiece pictured Brian Powell wrote to me the folowing quote. "definitly florida stock finished in elkhart, great rubber, high floor shape." no other straight sig links mouthpiece besides ones that are shaped like this in the floor are early babbitts.
if someone calls something else "early babbitt" they are pulling your leg.
if there is no general consensus then now there can be because anyone who reads this now knows the truth about these mouthpieces.
its actually quite simple and its all about the baffle cuz thats what makes um GOERS !.

http://patriot.net/~gary/100_0927.jpg
http://patriot.net/~gary/100_0928.jpg
http://patriot.net/~gary/100_0929.jpg

again on the late florida ones the USA is slightly larger like the slants and slightly higher up on the shank.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It’s not always true except for the top picture. Like Mojo said earlier, Babbitt had a few blanks over the years that look similar to an EB on the outside but looked like crap on the inside. There was even a small batch that Brian Powell had made that had a Bircher floor etc but weren’t exactly EB’s. Some 80s links have a clamshell baffle but a lower floor and larger chamber than a real EB. I would say that 90% of the EB’s I’ve seen for sale here and across the internet have not been real EB’s.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi there
So if I follow the picture posted by Nefertiti, is this a Slant Blank?
Thanks for the Help!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts