Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am a recorder player, and i read somewhere that on ewi 4000s i can create my own fingering mode. It will be very good, because on this way i won't have to learn the ewi or sax fingering mode. So my questions:
1) Is there a recorder fingering for ewi 4000s?
2) If there isn't, can i make my own fingering?
3) If not, possibly the flute fingering is the colsest to recorder, but i nowhere found a fingering table of flute and oboe on ewi. Where is one?
4) To connect my ewi to comuter do i have to buy an USB-MIDI converter? (To get the flute and oboe fingering i have to upgrade my operation ystem.)
Laci

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
Hi, welcome to SOTW

1. Sax and recorder fingerings are quite similar, unless you play alto recorder:). In fact, sax fingerings are easier. There's no way to do the 'half hole', or the dual hole fingerings
2, 3 I can't answer this question, but these guys probably can:

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/

4. For hooking your EWI 4000S you'll need a USB/MIDI converter (I use the M Audio Uno)--but you'll not be able to use the internal sounds--you'll need to use the MIDI sounds from your computer. In order to get your audio output to the computer, you would need a USB or firewire audio interface.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a good cheap midi interface Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) FastLane USB MIDI.

The problem with using other sounds is you have to learn to map the breath control to volume, otherwise it's going to sound rather flat. The M70 controls both volume and timbre with your breath. That makes it more dynamic and fun to play. The downside is that the M70 is very old technology. People are using synful orchestra with breath controllers with great results. It is expensive but sounds so nice. The tech there can help you set it up with your Akai so that you can use the breath as a controller. Well worth the cost in my opinion. You will be able to alter the volume and the timbre in it like the M70 after changing some settings.

http://www.synful.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, welcome to SOTW

1. Sax and recorder fingerings are quite similar, unless you play alto recorder:).

Ah, but the EWI4000 can be set (via the little buttons on the back) to transpose into any key, so setting it to F gives you an "alto EWI" :)

R Dawson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!
I am a recorder player, and i read somewhere that on ewi 4000s i can create my own fingering mode. It will be very good, because on this way i won't have to learn the ewi or sax fingering mode. So my questions:
1) Is there a recorder fingering for ewi 4000s?

Creating a new fingering mode would require firmware editing, which presumably can be done with the right software; but, AFAIK, Akai have not released the firmware editor. (If they ever do, my research project would be alternative temperaments, if that is possible! I don't know, equal temperament could be enforced at the hardware level.)

The recorder fingerings are heavily based on forking, where a key has _less_ effect because of its position relative to other keys; and, in the upper registers, harmonics, where its effect is unpredictable. If you could emulate this you would have to create dozens of special-case rules which would destroy the elegance of the EWI concept. The point of the EWI is that [considering the bottom key of the left hand and top key of the right as one] it has 12 keys, and every single one of the 4096 combinations of those is in tune. So on the average each of the 18 notes available at one location of the octave rollers has over 200 in-tune fingerings (in practice there are more near the middle, fewer at the ends.) Also, some recorder fingerings differ only in the position of the left thumbnail but are not at the octave; and this the EWI cannot understand.

I strongly recommend learning the "native EWI" fingering, with a good repertoire of alternative fingerings. In particular, the *)** *o* fingering for Eb [like a recorder F, but include the Bb crescent because you will probably want it soon] makes flat keys very easy - it's my default fingering these days. Also, keys with many sharps or flats can be played fairly easily by permanently keeping the left pinkie on one of the "tabs" and playing (eg) F major for F# major.

Finally, note that one of the controls at the top back allows you to set the EWI to transpose into whatever key you like. Setting this to F gives you an instrument that plays like a sopranino/alto/bass/Fcontrabass recorder (all at once!)

Good luck!

R Dawson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts