Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,731 Posts
@ Saxophender. Yes, I do agree LaPorte has supported his findings where others have not. I have read over everything? (SOTW) now at least once. Including the Loyalist site.And you know other sites as well. History is always a ongoing experience.

Question, is the loyalist accurate?
The name use “Revelation “ pre 1923 still not clear anywhere...🤔 you have reference?
“No sax made 1918-1919”. Can’t find LaPorte’s source. Loyalist has history timeline @ April 1918 moving into Elkhart factory,sourced from news paper. That transition era 1917-1918 keeps messing with my head. How can it be 1920 and Chicago? NOS?

Heres another...Lyon & Healey American professional, Mel C, brass finish,no high F,no pearls, 63xxx. Worth investigating to buy?

Thanks for your support 🐷

·
4,731 Posts
Mr. LaPorte has thoroughly researched the history of Holton and provided us with documentary evidence of his conclusions. To the extent information on other websites, not supported by such research or evidence, conflicts with LaPorte's findings, I will put my money on LaPorte's findings. While saxophone.org has some useful information, I would not count on it being completely accurate. I haven't spent a lot of time on that site, so I don't know where they get their information.
The dates in post 9 in this thread may not be exactly correct.
I think your sax is from 1920, based on LaPorte's serial number list. Please note the following quote from LaPorte in post 578 of the registry thread:

"Ca. the first two years (1918/1919) no saxophones were
produced in Elkhorn. Tooling remained in Chicago.
Many people employed were needed in Elkhorn to do new jobs.

While the factory in Elkhorn was prepared for civil
purposes only (probably early in 1920) the production of
saxophones continued initially in Chicago later in Elkhorn."

In reading the registry thread, keep in my mind it is an ongoing process - with conclusions being revised as new information is discovered. Until you have read, and digested, the whole thing, as well as other pertinent threads in the Holton subforum, it is probably too early for you to reach any firm conclusions. I have read through all this stuff several times, and have not found any demonstrably reliable information on other sites to contradict the info found here. It is good that you are doing reasearch and questioning what you find. Having already done that myself, I have agreed with others here that LaPorte's information is the most accurate available.
Still reading. still learning. Took your advice. And a couple weeks off the thread.
I can't Believe how much effort has been put in to the information that has been documented. Largely from the way the threads work it makes it extremely challenging to retain the information accurately and make sense. Your comment about my sax being made in 1920 I think is spot on. Information is making more sense now. It just takes a couple times of reading all of it to stick.
I personally went into the music trade magazine archives of 100 years ago and started digging to see if I could find something. I can't imagine how many hours Felix spent looking over those articles not to mention English is not his native language. It's obvious the man is very passionate. I have no doubt that Felix is the formost authority on these makers.
Back to studying ?

G

·
Hi All -

New to the Forum, but had to join because there's obviously a great deal of knowledge here. I'm in my early thirties and have owned a Holton Bari Sax since I was in high school, so 15 or so years. I've been reading through the threads and it seems my bari is a bit nonconforming to the model number/serial number convention documented by the posters here.

My sax reads "Frank Holton, Elkhorn Wis" on the bell. The serial number appears to be 2766X (best guess is 27660), with LP centered under its arch. No discernable model number anywhere. I've attached some (fairly poor) photos and will take some better ones when I get a non-rainy day.

My questions are - what model do you all think this is? Am I misinterpreting the serial number convention? The numbering says from some lists that it should be a 1916 or 17 build, but that would be Chicago, no?

Last thing of note - This thing does in fact play, and it plays wonderfully. Perhaps it's the fact we've grown up together (well, granted, it has a few years on me), and I have put money into it over the years to keep it playing, but it does have surprisingly great intonation, especially on the high notes. I'm considering getting a significantly more modern bari (out of want for a low A), but I'm quite torn as to keeping this or selling for a "down payment". You all seem to be Holton lovers - what would you do?

I can't wait to hear your insights - in advance, thank you!

Attachments

·
4,731 Posts
Hi All -

New to the Forum, but had to join because there's obviously a great deal of knowledge here. I'm in my early thirties and have owned a Holton Bari Sax since I was in high school, so 15 or so years. I've been reading through the threads and it seems my bari is a bit nonconforming to the model number/serial number convention documented by the posters here.

My sax reads "Frank Holton, Elkhorn Wis" on the bell. The serial number appears to be 2766X (best guess is 27660), with LP centered under its arch. No discernable model number anywhere. I've attached some (fairly poor) photos and will take some better ones when I get a non-rainy day.

My questions are - what model do you all think this is? Am I misinterpreting the serial number convention? The numbering says from some lists that it should be a 1916 or 17 build, but that would be Chicago, no?

Last thing of note - This thing does in fact play, and it plays wonderfully. Perhaps it's the fact we've grown up together (well, granted, it has a few years on me), and I have put money into it over the years to keep it playing, but it does have surprisingly great intonation, especially on the high notes. I'm considering getting a significantly more modern bari (out of want for a low A), but I'm quite torn as to keeping this or selling for a "down payment". You all seem to be Holton lovers - what would you do?

I can't wait to hear your insights - in advance, thank you!
Dear Guest, I have no idea how this posting showed up today 4-24-18? If you have not traded the horn. I recommend keeping it. Not very common and quite a nice instrument. I highly doubt that your instrument was made in Chicago as I have experienced similar issues with the dating. This attached link from Felix as being the most accurate and dependable serial number list. Which I also have found to be true. Use no others!
http://vintage.saxontheweb.net/Holton.html

Read and study this thread for more information on this subject.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
As PigSquealer says, just use the Felix chart, no other. Looks like your bari is a 1926.
… The serial number appears to be 2766X (best guess is 27660), with LP centered under its arch.…

·
Registered
242 Posts
This thread helped my to ID my Holton. Thanks!

61 - 67 of 67 Posts