Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not sure if they made an ideal sop--sops stopped being made early in the depression by many manufacturers.

Bari seems to be the 480, tenor either a 472 or 475. Looking for the alto model number now (wanna say it's a 465), but here's a fantastic specimen on ebay (not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hol...414746?hash=item3ab4fa701a:g:D5MAAOSw3xJVW4kO

bari (page 9 posts 172, 173): http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?48586-quot-Modern-quot-Vintage-Holtons/page9
Here is an Holton Ideal Alto on ebay that shows the model number (465) clearly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hol...671712?hash=item25b1605a20:g:T4QAAOSwEgVWSiru

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here is an interesting Alto Collegiate on ebay, notice the beveled tone holes. So could this be a Holton Stencil built by Couturier or Martin or Lyon & Healy after they bought out Couturier in 1923? Alternatively this could be one of the Saxophones produce at the old Lyon & Healy/Couturier plant after Holton bought the Lyon & Healy Band Instruments Division in 1928 and before they shut down the plant in 1929/1930. Or I could be all wet and this could be something complete different. Anyhow any thoughts on who made this Holton and when? With the serial number 39741 I find it hard to believe that this was produced in 1917 as advertised on the ebay auction.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Trigger Brass instrument Air gun

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Holton-Alto-Sax-/172018130123?hash=item280d145ccb:g:XboAAOSwnipWYF6m

·
Registered
929 Posts
I Honestly think that a lot of the people on ebay make up the dates they say.
If I recall right, these were made with Couturier tooling by Holton in the late 20s/early 30s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
I Honestly think that a lot of the people on ebay make up the dates they say.
If I recall right, these were made with Couturier tooling by Holton in the late 20s/early 30s.
There's an older and incorrect Holton serial number chart floating around that doesn't work with saxophones--that's why you see weird dates from before Holton could have possibly made the horns. We have a correct one posted somewhere here in the Holton section. Felix (Member LaPorte) posted it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There's an older and incorrect Holton serial number chart floating around that doesn't work with saxophones--that's why you see weird dates from before Holton could have possibly made the horns. We have a correct one posted somewhere here in the Holton section. Felix (Member LaPorte) posted it.
Based on the Holton Saxophone serial numbers listed at the websites listed below there is no way that serial number 39741 was produced in 1917.

http://vintage.saxontheweb.net/Holton.html

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/54

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is an interesting Alto Collegiate on ebay, notice the beveled tone holes. So could this be a Holton Stencil built by Couturier or Martin or Lyon & Healy after they bought out Couturier in 1923? Alternatively this could be one of the Saxophones produce at the old Lyon & Healy/Couturier plant after Holton bought the Lyon & Healy Band Instruments Division in 1928 and before they shut down the plant in 1929/1930. Or I could be all wet and this could be something complete different. Anyhow any thoughts on who made this Holton and when? With the serial number 39741 I find it hard to believe that this was produced in 1917 as advertised on the ebay auction.

View attachment 73225

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Holton-Alto-Sax-/172018130123?hash=item280d145ccb:g:XboAAOSwnipWYF6m
Here is another Alto Collegiate on ebay of the same style that has a slightly lower serial number 38818.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Clarinet family Wind instrument

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Coll...942252?hash=item235e0fb1ec:g:0jcAAOSwxN5WXfQ7

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
Just acquired a Holton alto. Lots of good information to work with here. So here’s my question just to qualify everything I’ve read. It’s an alto with no pearls. Low pitch. Silver plate,Chicago under the name on the Bell....and SN# 5xxx. Looking at the way the last digit is struck on the serial number I’m willing to bet it was put there sometime in the 30s to off the piece is a more modern unit. What I’m looking at I assume would be under serial number 600 or 1917 made in Chicago. 5xx
Anyone have some light to put on this?

·
4,768 Posts
Thanks Bruce.
Serial #5xxx would make it a late 1922 Elkhart build. 5xx and the Chicago engraving would be correct for 1917 and no Pearls. From information I gathered on this thread mid 1918 and SN#1200 is end of line for Chicago built horns. The Reason I’m reaching out is to qualify that you cannot have a 5xxx number and Chicago made horn? I’m betting the last digit was added later in life.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Serial #5xxx would make it a late 1922 Elkhart build. ... From information I gathered on this thread mid 1918 and SN#1200 is end of line for Chicago built horns. The Reason I'm reaching out is to qualify that you cannot have a 5xxx number and Chicago made horn? I'm betting the last digit was added later in life.
This is not quite correct. Serial #5xxx dates to 1920, not 1922. Also, the comment in the serial number chart about #1200 being the highest Chicago serial number is out of date. Read through the Holton serial number registry thread and you will see that there are Chicago made Holtons with 5xxx serial numbers, including one of mine. Mine is #5565, and it has pearl key touches. I also have #1362 which has metal key touches. What's the serial # on yours, and can you post a pic?
In short, serial #5xxx and Chicago definitely exists. The only possibly suspicious thing is the metal key touches, but I have not seen any info on at which number they went from metal to pearl - your horn might actually help narrow the window for that if the serial number is unmodified.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The last update to the early serial number post (by LaPorte, the same person who made the serial number list) was on page 37 of the registry thread, post #732.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page37
It shows that saxes were made in Chicago in early 1920, and that the earliest known Elkhorn serial number is 5881. (The post does not include mine as I did not add them to the registry until later, and the early serials post was never updated after that. Clearly, he also never updated the comments to the serial number list to reflect the information in post 732.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
The last update to the early serial number post (by LaPorte, the same person who made the serial number list) was on page 37 of the registry thread, post #732.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page37. It shows that saxes were made in Chicago in early 1920, and that the earliest known Elkhorn serial number is 5881.

Clearly, he also never updated the comments to the serial number list to reflect the information in post 732.)
LaPorte's research and serial number charts are the only things Holton researchers should be looking at. Any other serial number lists are inaccurate. Unfortunately, the inaccurate lists are the ones that show up when people do a Google search.

·
4,768 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. Will read up on the information you provided later in the day. For the moment here’s something to work with #5456 Metal keys and Chicago under their name. The six appears to be double struck compared to the 545. There is no letter above the serial number like a melody C would have. Below the serial number is L.P. Just like that not spelled out low pitch.
On the upper register, above the B key there is a key (hi F?) running vertically in the shape of a palm key.
It measures 22 inches like an alto should. From the patina on the neck and the design matching the horn I would say it is original and alto configuration. Sadly there is no number struck on it.
I have pictures. I’m also new to the form and having a senior moment. Can’t figure out how to post them. Also my delayed reply is related to not knowing how to have replies sent to my email or username. I keep having to dig through the form activity list to follow up. All this and I bought my first horn less than a year ago at a yard sale. Yes I have vigorously been learning and your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page37
It shows that saxes were made in Chicago in early 1920, and that the earliest known Elkhorn serial number is 5881. (The post does not include mine as I did not add them to the registry until later, and the early serials post was never updated after that. Clearly, he also never updated the comments to the serial number list to reflect the information in post 732.)
Your comment is dead-on. The update of the serial-number list was on my agenda at that time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
LaPorte, it’s great to see you here on the boards again.

I was re-reading your posts in the Willam Gronert thread and noticed that many of your pictures have disappeared. The same thing happened to many of my photos when Photobucket stopped offering free photo hosting. Maybe you can update your photo hosting account?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I was re-reading your posts in the Willam Gronert thread and noticed that many of your pictures have disappeared. The same thing happened to many of my photos when Photobucket stopped offering free photo hosting. Maybe you can update your photo hosting account?
Did you manage to recover your photos?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The Gronert photos seem to be in the thread again. When I am logged out on the forum here, the the photos are uploaded automatically. When I am logged in it shows a link to my photobucket account with a photo, advertisement and all the rest I don't need.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The Gronert photos seem to be in the thread again. .
I was wrong. The issue persists in some cases.

This is what I found out: Photobucket's "Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits" says that "3rd party image hosting" is only included in the "Plus 500 Plan" which charges 399,99 US-Dollar per year. Some sort of blackmailing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. Will read up on the information you provided later in the day. For the moment here's something to work with #5456 Metal keys and Chicago under their name. The six appears to be double struck compared to the 545. There is no letter above the serial number like a melody C would have. Below the serial number is L.P. Just like that not spelled out low pitch.
On the upper register, above the B key there is a key (hi F?) running vertically in the shape of a palm key.
It measures 22 inches like an alto should. From the patina on the neck and the design matching the horn I would say it is original and alto configuration. Sadly there is no number struck on it.
I have pictures. I'm also new to the form and having a senior moment. Can't figure out how to post them. Also my delayed reply is related to not knowing how to have replies sent to my email or username. I keep having to dig through the form activity list to follow up. All this and I bought my first horn less than a year ago at a yard sale. Yes I have vigorously been learning and your help is greatly appreciated.
Referring to LaPorte's post #732 in the registry thread, your #5456 is the earliest recorded 5xxx serial number. My #1362 is the highest recorded 1xxx serial number, and there are no (known) 2xxx-4xxx serial numbers. Therefore, yours having metal key touches is certainly plausible. It would thus indicate that Holton began using pearl key touches somewhere between #s 5456 and 5565. I would not be particularly concerned about the last digit being double struck - things like that happened. I have a Kohlert where the last digit is a 5 struck over a 4. My #5565 has Bb marked above the serial number; I do not recall if #1362 does or not - I have a vague recollection that it might not - but it's not readily accessible so I'd have to dig it out of storage (it's a project horn) to check when I have the time. The neck not having a serial number stamped on it is normal, as is the L.P. stamp under the serial number. The metal teardrop front high F key is a feature of the early Holtons that is noteworthy for the fact that most other saxes made at that time did not have a front high F. My feeling is you do have a 1920 Chicago Holton, and a quite interesting find.
To follow up on the thread, go to the Holton subforum under "(Saxophone) Makes and Models" - threads with new posts are at the top of the first page right under the "stickys".

21 - 40 of 67 Posts