Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,694 Posts
Nickel plated with some "red rot". The Rudy model had bell keys on the other other side. Not sure about transitional.

·
7,694 Posts

·
7,694 Posts
The last update to the early serial number post (by LaPorte, the same person who made the serial number list) was on page 37 of the registry thread, post #732.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page37. It shows that saxes were made in Chicago in early 1920, and that the earliest known Elkhorn serial number is 5881.

Clearly, he also never updated the comments to the serial number list to reflect the information in post 732.)
LaPorte's research and serial number charts are the only things Holton researchers should be looking at. Any other serial number lists are inaccurate. Unfortunately, the inaccurate lists are the ones that show up when people do a Google search.

·
7,694 Posts
LaPorte, it’s great to see you here on the boards again.

I was re-reading your posts in the Willam Gronert thread and noticed that many of your pictures have disappeared. The same thing happened to many of my photos when Photobucket stopped offering free photo hosting. Maybe you can update your photo hosting account?

·
7,694 Posts
Did you manage to recover your photos?
I didn't try because I didn't want to spend any money on photo hosting. I believe there is still free photo hosting available on other websites but I didn't do the research on that. It is a shame though, because the pictures really help in identifying different saxophones.

·
7,694 Posts
To be clear, my photos did not disappear from Photobucket itself but only from outside websites where the photos were shared.

·
7,694 Posts
…
If the members gathering the serial number information would like me to post it on other thread please let me know.
You are welcome to but it's not as necessary as it was. I started the Serial number Registry thread because there wasn't much reliable info about Holton saxes online. (There is however a lot of info about Holton trumpets and bones). But Felix (aka LaPorte) took the info from the Registry thread and created the serial number list we now use. He also figured out the interesting Couturier brand connection.

·
7,694 Posts
As PigSquealer says, just use the Felix chart, no other. Looks like your bari is a 1926.
… The serial number appears to be 2766X (best guess is 27660), with LP centered under its arch.…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts